Subject: Re: [Ppm] Name suggestion

From: Nick Doty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:03:42 -0500

One way to distinguish the acronym and add something informative might
be to clarify that this work is about privacy-preserving *aggregate*
measurement. I believe that's what all the current proposals are
describing (although secure multi-party computations can perform other
kinds of operations, I don't think that's in scope here) and would
help a newcomer know what kind of techniques the group is looking at
to support privacy. And maybe PPAM is less likely to have conflict or
confusion with other acronyms.

> Strong support for PPM. Seems the most intuitive. This is peak
> bikeshedding, but I'm surprised by the supposed clash with IPPM - when I
> read that acronym I read "IP" first :) PPM immediately makes me think of
> privacy preserving measurement.

I also don't mind PPM (I wasn't familiar with IPPM anyway though), I
was just concerned by PRIV.

Apologies, I meant to follow-up on this name suggestion right away but
got distracted and wasn't subscribed to the right mailing list.

Cheers,
Nick