Subject: Protocol Action: Mobile-IPv4 Configuration Option for PPP IPCP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:51:01 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mobile-IPv4 Configuration
Option for PPP IPCP' <draft-ietf-pppext-ipcp-mip-03.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol
Extensions Working Group.

This document updates (but does not replace) one aspect of RFC 2002.
The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

  Mobile IP defines media-independent procedures by which a Mobile Node
  can maintain existing transport and application-layer connections
  despite changing its point-of-attachment to the Internet and without
  changing its IP address. As currently specified, Mobile IP Foreign
  Agents which support Mobile Node connections via PPP can do so only
  by first assigning unique addresses to those Mobile Nodes, defeating
  one of the primary advantages of Foreign Agents.

  This document corrects this problem by defining the Mobile-IPv4
  Configuration Option to the IPCP and specifies the proper interaction
  between a mobile node and a peer through which the mobile node
  connects to the Internet (using PPP). Using this option, two peers
  can communicate their support for Mobile IP during the IPCP phase of
  PPP.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.

---

From: Lim Lip Yeow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 07:56:25 +0800 (GMT-8)

an implementation of rfc 2290 " mipv4 configuration option for PPP IPCP"
on the Linux platform is now available at

http://mip.ee.nus.sg/

bugs should be reported to me, Lip Yeow, at

[email-masked]

lip yeow