Subject: Is there an IPCP extension negotiating Def Gateway Addr

From: "Dan Malone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 09:42:15 -0500

All :

Just a shot in the dark.. I have looked through all of the PPP related
RFC's and RFC Drafts and have not been successful in finding anything
relating to negotiation or just plain forwarding of a default gateway
address. Is there an obscure RFC/draft that addresses this.. has there
been any discussion relating to this type of scenario ?? Any information
positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Dan Malone    [email-masked]

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:13:29 -0500

> positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it is at all necessary.

If the PPP link is your only network link, then it is sufficient to
treat the peer as the "default gateway."  As far as you're concerned,
the entire world lives on the other side of that PPP link.  Thus
gateway == remote address.

If the PPP link isn't your only network link, then you'll need either
static routes or participation in a regular routing protocol to
establish routes (including a default route, if any).  It's hard to
see how a default gateway would be helpful here.  (For the special
case of a device with only a "local LAN" and a PPP link, again, the
PPP link can be treated as in the first case; the remote peer is the
gateway.)

On the other hand, like name sever addresses (don't get me started on
RFC 1877...), you can acquire a default gateway through BOOTP over
PPP if you're sure you need one.

-- 
James Carlson, Consulting Engineer                <[email-masked]>
IronBridge Networks / 5 Corporate Drive            Vox:  +1 978 691 4644
Andover MA  01810-2448 / USA                       Fax:  +1 978 691 6300

---

From: Kelly McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:11:28 -0800

> Dan Malone    [email-masked]

  RFC 1877, PPP Internet Protocol Control Protocol Extensions for  Name Server
Addresses, by S. Cobb of Microsoft is an Informational RFC which provides an
IPCP mechanism to convey DNS primary and secondary addresses from a PPP server
to a remote client.  It also permits the assignment of primary and secondary
NetBIOS Name Servers (aka WINS servers) to remote clients.  Is this what you
mean when you say "relating to negotiation or just plain forwarding of a default
gateway address"?