Subject: Various ongoing L2TP controversies

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:04:01 -0800

I just now finally got caught up with the L2TP mailing list, and I
must commend all those who contributed--you have brought up a lot of
good points and made some really good suggestions.  Although I'm not
an L2TP implementor (and thus my judgment may be suspect), I have not
yet seen any issues where bits-on-the-wire changes were requested that
couldn't be dealt with either with no changes to the protocol or with
a later optional facility.

That said, I believe there may be a few clarifications and corrections
that need to be made; I trust Mark Townsley, Bill Palter and Andy
Valencia have been keeping track of these.

To those who have said L2TP could have been done better: I agree!  I
only lament that many of us have been so busy over the last 20 months
that we couldn't take the time to review the protocol until it was too
late.  Which, by the way, it now is.
-- 
Karl Fox, servant of God, employee of Ascend Communications
655 Metro Place South, Suite 370, Dublin, Ohio  43017   +1 614 760 4041