Subject: Re: strange boundary cases in RFC 1990 (Multilink)

From: John Shriver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:12:28 -0500

Well, I'm well-satisfied with the arguments of why MRRU is one
"multipurpose" option.

But, we need to define what it means to have Multilink on in one
direction only.  Is it indeed the intent that any Multilink in either
direction makes all links one entity at the Network layer?  Consensus?

(Also, I'll note that I was led somewhat astray by Figure 1 in RFC
1717 and RFC 1990, which led to to think that it was possible for IPCP
on a link to be independent from IPCP on the bundle.  Indeed, my
Multilink won't allow any NCP's on the links.  Thankfully, no commonly
encountered PPP/Multilink implementation expects you to do this, but I
need to fix it.)

Maybe I should up and try and write a clearer version of Section 2 in
some of these areas...

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:18:19 -0800 (PST)

> direction makes all links one entity at the Network layer?  Consensus?

The only thing I can see single-direction multi-link meaning is this:

  Everything is exactly the same as normal multi-link, except that
  in one direction you don't send any fragmented packets, instead
  sending only normal packets over either link (perhaps load
  balancing). You still have a single bundle.

However, taking it to mean this would probably be incompatible with
some or most existing implementations.

Question for MP implementors out there: what do you do if you receive
a config-reject of your MRRU, but you have already config-ack'd the
peer's MRRU?

-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

---

From: Richard Roscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:12:25 -0000

[Archie Cobbs wrote]

> a config-reject of your MRRU, but you have already config-ack'd the
We renegotiate LCP without any MRRU's ... 

--------------
Richard Roscoe,
Software Engineer,
SCO.