Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-01.txt

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:23:38 -0800 (PST)

Re: draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-01.txt

Is it possible to negotiate MPPC compression and MPPE encryption
simultaneously? It appears that the two were designed to work
together (does NT handle both at the same time?).

In either case, it would be useful to have a comment in the draft
explicitly noting that this is/isn't possible.

Thanks,
-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:03:13 -0800 (PST)

> explicitly noting that this is/isn't possible.

Duh.. just after sending this I noticed this paragraph:

  Implementation Note

     If both MPPE and MPPC are negotiated on the same link, the MPPE  pro-
     cessor MUST be invoked after the MPPC processor by the sender and the
     MPPE processor MUST be invoked  before  the  MPPC  processor  by  the
     receiver.

So I guess the answer to the question is "yes". However, in the
section describing the configuration bits, it says:

   All other bits are reserved and MUST be set to 0.

Taken literally, this would imply that MPPC is NOT compatible,
since MPPC requires setting bit 0 to one.

-Archie