Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-01.txt

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:20:27 -0800

Mark Deuser <[email-masked]> writes:
-----Original Message-----

>How does MPPE key generation work in a peers that mutually authenticate
each
>other?

Whoops!  I _knew_ I forgot something!  The key used is always the one
derived from the peer's credentials.  This is true for mutual authentication
and multilink, as well as one-way authentication.  I'll add a note to that
effect.

>Scenarios include using MSCHAP in both directions (two passwords, two
challenge
>values),
>and MSCHAP in one direction with another auth protocol, say SPAP (two
>passwords, one
>challenge value), in the other direction.

Right now, MPPE is only supported by Microsoft when negotiated in
conjunction with MS-CHAP authentication.  That's an implementation detail,
not a limitation of the MPPE protocol, but it does have obvious implications
for interoperability w/MSFT products.
>Thank you,
>Mark Deuser
>[email-masked]
>(919)  254-9264