Subject: traffic on PPP mailing list

From: [email-masked] (Vernon Schryver)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:14:27 -0700

> From: "William Allen Simpson" <[email-masked]>    

>  ... I have already had yet another request that we take this to a
> separate mailing list again:
 
> ...
>   As a courtesy to those of us who must deal with a large volume of mail
>   from various lists, could you please take this discussion to direct
>   email? It has gone way past the point of being useful to the general
>   audience.
> 
> Therefore, I will make any further responses on the PPPSDH list.

Point-of-order!

It is not as if there has been much traffic in the PPP mailing list in
recent months, weeks, or days on this or any subject.  It is not as if
readers of the IETF PPP working group mailing list are a general
audience.

If there is to be a document that is to be labeled a product of the
IETF PPP working group, the PPP mailing list is an appropriate place to
discuss the techical issues, particularly since there seems to be some
controversy about them.  It is only on the main PPP mailing list that
consensus can be officially achieved, and not on other lists or even in
face to face meetings.  Of course, if all interested parties achieve
consensus elsewhere, only a little would need to be said in the main
mailinglist.  Still, that little would need to be said.

Anyone who cannot tolerate an additional dozen messages per week (at
least some of which have interesting technical content) should take
themselves off the main PPP list instead of trying squelch the traffic
for which the list exists.  Of course, it would be appropriate to ask
non-technical rhetoric and insults cease.  That stuff does not belong
in any IETF mailing list.

Vernon Schryver,  [email-masked]