Subject: Re: HDLC frame

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:45:03 -0700 (MST)

> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 01:10:54 -0500
> From: David Pittman <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]

> RFC 1662 says that the field after the host address (FF) is the control
> field, which should be free.  Why is the next byte I get 7D?  Should it
> be discarded?  Is it possible it isn't normal PPP framing or HDLC
> framing but maybe another kind?

It sounds like a properly async-PPP escaping.  

Please note that the PPP mailinglist is generally reserved for discussions
about PPP protocols by protocol designers and implementors, and I don't
mean people selling, buying, installing, configuring nor operating PPP
installations.

A better source of such information than this mailing list is something
like the book by James Carlson, "PPP Design and Debugging", recently
published by Addison Wesley.  Powell's Books <http://www.powells.com> is
selling it for $26.95, and also (if I understand what result of asking
their search engine says) they have a used copy for $8.50.  Carlson's book
only only covers async PPP encapsulation, but many other thans that are
not so basic and interductory.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]