Subject: L2TP and TCP interactions

From: Graham Cope <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:11:20 +0000

I've just read L2TP draft for the 1st time and its time-out mechanism is
based on that of TCP.

Can anyone give me references to any simulation work that's been done on
the interaction between TCP implementations and proposed L2TP
implementations?
   I suspect that there is danger of multiple re-transmissions at
multiple layers of the protocol stack. Can anybody re-assure me
otherise?

Thanks in advance,

Graham Cope

---

From: [email-masked] (Rich Shea)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:45:05 -0500

> multiple layers of the protocol stack. Can anybody re-assure me

L2TP shares the timeout mechanism with TCP, but L2TP does not retransmit
data packets (tunneled PPP packets).

Further inquiries can be sent to the l2tp mailing list at [email-masked]
(send mail to [email-masked] to get on the list).

Richard Shea
[email-masked]
Senior Software Engineer -- New Oak Communications, Inc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Evan Caves)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:26:00 -0800 (PST)

L2TP does not retransmit payload messages, just tunnel and session control
messages, so there is no danger multiple retransmissions at multiple
layers.

evan
-