Subject: Compound frame.

From: HOULLIER Francis CNET/DSE/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:00:17 +0100

Can anyone tell me what a "compound frame" is? (cf RFC 1990 : PPP-MP)
Thank you.

---

From: Chuck Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:08:51 -0500

At Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:00:17 +0100,

HOULLIER Francis CNET/DSE/CAE <[email-masked]>
>> Can anyone tell me what a "compound frame" is? (cf RFC 1990 : PPP-MP)

I believe the reference is to one of the mechanisms described in RFC
1570.  The idea being that some set of protocol formats provide a
means of delimiting packets which is separate from "end of frame".
For example, the inclusion of a length field for the packet (as in
LCP) would allow you to concatenate several packets into a single
frame, saving a small amount of time transmitting the framing/CRC
bits.  The particular usage cited by the author is a Configure Ack
concatenated with a Configure Request.  I've no idea how useful/widely
supported this is.

-- 
Charles C. Lindsay            BlazeNet, Inc             508-651-3343 x47
[email-masked]   4 Mechanic Street, Suite 212    508-651-3383 FAX
                             Natick, MA 01760