Subject: Request for Implementation Questionnaire Authors

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:19:31 -0500

RFC 2026 (The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3) specifies that, for 
protocol documents to advance from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard, at 
least two independent and interoperable implementations must exist.  This 
requirement applies not only to the protocol as a whole, but also to all of 
the options and features of the specification.  If one or more options or 
features have not been demonstrated in at least two interoperable    
implementations, the specification may advance to Draft Standard only if 
those options or features are removed.

It is my responsibility as Chair to provide documentation supporting the 
assertion of interoperability when we ask the IESG to advance the document.  
However, I have not been an implementor for several years, while many of you 
are or have recently been involved with implementing many of the protocols 
under consideration.

Please help me out.  I need volunteers willing to examine each of the below 
documents and come up with a list of "options or features" that I can use in 
an implementation questionnaire so that we can move these documents forward. 
Please do not respond to the list; send e-mail to me privately at 
[email-masked].  Please include the RFC (or RFCs) you would like to examine.

RFC 1332, IPCP
RFC 1962, CCP
RFC 1968, ECP
RFC 1618, PPP over ISDN
RFC 1471, LCP MIB
RFC 1472, CHAP MIB
RFC 1473, IPCP MIB
RFC 2878, BCP (the new one with VLAN support)

Thanks,

Karl

Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 4159 B4AD 339D 4E2A 255F  9CC4 9DA9 CB4B B16D E2B1