Subject: [ppsp] Draft submitted: "The Generic Multiparty Transport Protocol (swift)"

From: Victor Grishchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:28:52 +0200

Hi group!

Today I have submitted a draft spec for swift, the generic swarming transport:
  http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-grishchenko-ppsp-swift-00.txt

The protocol is designed for maximum genericity and is supposed to work...
 * over IP, UDP, TCP
 * under different overlay topologies (client-server, CDN,
peer-to-peer, peer-assisted)
 * for different usecases (data, VoD, live)
Today's swarming protocols are very much alike; the original
contribution of swift is elimination of technical metadata (aka
.torrent files) and magic numbers (uses generic unit system) and
implementation over unreliable (aka atomic) datagrams, thanks to
packet-precise hash trees.

The spec is based on the current UDP-based implementation available at:
  http://github.com/gritzko/swift  (httpgw is the most recent branch)

The work is supported by the P2P-Next, a pan-European consortium
developing a next generation content delivery platform:
  http://p2p-next.org

Comments/questions are welcome.

-- 
Victor