Subject: [ppsp] FW: New Version Notification for draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01

From: "Strandberg, Ove (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:10:44 +0300

Dear all,

A new version of draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01 has been
submitted. It is accessible at
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01.txt

This version reworks abstract and further enhance section 4 on
"Application use of secure naming structure". Shortly the section 4
change gives more detail on the use of BitTorrent as example candidate
for using secure naming. 

The 00 draft did not get presented in the PPSP WG at last IETF meeting
(time constraints), but some of you might have followed an IRTF P2PRG
presentation ("What information centric networking can do for
peer-to-peer") in Maastricht as the main message was included in the
IRTF presentation.

A common naming scheme that provides security features is proposed and
we are looking forward to hearing additional comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

+Ove

[email-masked] 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 22 October, 2010 14:46
>To: Strandberg, Ove (NSN - FI/Espoo)
>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>Subject: New Version Notification for 
>draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01 
>
>
>A new version of I-D, 
>draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01.txt has been 
>successfully submitted by Ove Strandberg and posted to the 
>IETF repository.
>
>Filename:	 draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming
>Revision:	 01
>Title:		 Secure naming structure and p2p application interaction
>Creation_date:	 2010-10-22
>WG ID:		 Independent Submission
>Number_of_pages: 13
>
>Abstract:
>Today, each P2P system typically uses its own way to identify data.
>The lack of a common naming scheme prevents P2P applications 
>from benefiting from available copies of the same data 
>distributed via different P2P system.  In addition, today's 
>P2P naming schemes lack important security aspects that would 
>allow the user to check the data integrity and build trust in 
>data and data publishers.  This is especially important in P2P 
>applications as data is received from untrusted peers.  
>Providing a generic naming scheme for P2P systems so that 
>multiple P2P systems can use the same data regardless of data 
>location and P2P system increases the efficiency and data 
>availability of the overall data dissemination process.  The 
>proposed secure naming structure provides a potential way to 
>address these challenges with a common naming structure that 
>is flexible enough to support all different needs.  In 
>addition, the secure naming scheme is providing 
>self-certification such that the receiver can verify the data 
>integrity, i.e., that the correct data has been received, 
>without requiring a trusted third party.  It also enables 
>owner authentication to build up trust in (potentially 
>anonymous) data publishers.  The secure naming structure 
>should be beneficial as potential design principle in defining 
>the two protocols identified as objectives in the PPSP 
>charter.  This document enumerates a number of design 
>considerations to impact the design and implementation of the 
>tracker-peer signaling and peer-peer streaming signaling protocols.
>                                                               
>                   
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat.
>
>
>