Subject: [Fwd: Re: About PPVPN management]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:42:16 +0200

hi yoav,

I fully agree with your statements. the -00 version of the draft is
still generic and we are now waiting for working group interest before
further developing this work.

thanks,
yacine el mghazli

Yoav Cohen wrote:

 >
 > -----Original Message-----
 > From: Arnaud Gonguet [mailto:[email-masked]]
 > Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 11:04
 > To: [email-masked]
 > Subject: About PPVPN management
 >
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > A couple of months ago, a draft on PPVPN management was submitted to 
this WG (draft-yacine-ppvpn-mgt-frwk-00.txt). This draft is the very
 > first version of a ppvpn management framework. It aims at describing 
the ppvpn management reference model and deals with functions,
 > protocols, information models. It could be seen as a starting point 
to define further standardization efforts on PPVPN related protocols
 > or info models.
 >
 > To improve the contents and relevance of this draft, all requests and 
comments are appreciated.
 >
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 >   Arnaud
 >
 >
 > Arnaud & Yacine,
 > I'd like to raise some points to the draft's scope.
 >  The proposed draft concentrates on the architecture of the Network 
Management System (e.g. "A customer must have a means to view the 
topology, operational state, ...").
 > The reference model and management functions stated in the draft, 
really point to generic functions used to manage any type of technology. 
There are several bodies dealing with generic Network Management 
functionality e.g. ITU and organizations most notably the TeleManagement 
Forum (http://www.tmforum.org/).
 > What differentiates technologies and services are the details of 
managing them, i.e. the management interfaces and how they map to these 
generic functions.
 > Hence I believe that a more practical approach is to define the 
reference model and interfaces from the network management point of 
view. So the document should concentrate on:
 >
 > - Defining a PPVPN management reference model  (i.e. a reference 
model that excludes the management function themselves).
 > - Defining the PPVPN management interfaces by mapping according to 
the FCAPS functions. If needed, differentiate between PE based and CE 
based interfaces
 > - Defining the management protocols e.g. SNMP, COPS, etc.
 > - Defining the MIBs e.g. SNMP, and other models (if there's interest)
 >
 > I believe that this work can provide the ability for many existing 
network management platforms supporting various aspects of network 
management to tailor their models and applications to also support the 
PPVPN.
 > Best regards,
 > Yoav Cohen.