Subject: New PPVPN web page and mail list

From: "John Pugh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:32:02 -0400

To the PPVPN mail exploder list:

This is by way of introduction and will serve to verify that the list is
operating correctly. If you have any suggestions regarding the web site
(http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/ppvpn/index.htm )or the mail list (
[email-masked] )please don't hesitate to send them to me. We
will try to make improvements as quickly as possible. We will also try to
respond to questions/concerns within 24 hours. We are looking at ways to
present the PPVPN agendas and presentations so that duplication of
information is minimized while still adding value for the PPVPN members so
you may see some changes shortly in this area of the site.

To avoid seeing the html tags in archived messages set your format to 'text
only' in your email client before sending messages to the PPVPN list. There
are 1065 members currently subscribed to the mail distribution list at
[email-masked] and if you receive this message you are one
of them. Messages are archived as they are received and a link to the
message archive (
http://zrchb175.us.nortel.com:8080/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?visit=ppvpn&id=192589112
) is presented on the above web site. There are a number of viewing options
using the web interface.

Also, please note that the 'help' section of the PPVPN email page (Lyris
server commands) contains many references including a page describing email
commands that can be used.

Regards,
John Pugh
Nortel Networks
(USA - 919-997-3626)
(http://standards.nortelnetworks.com/ppvpn/index.htm )

---
You are currently subscribed to ppvpn as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:04:07 -0400

The new mailing list server does several objectionable things: 

1. It rewrites the To: field,  whose contents should really be determined by
   the composer of the message. 

2. It  changes   the  message-id,  making  it  impossible   to  filter  for
   duplicates. 

3. It  inserts a  "Reply-to:" field  specifying the  mailing list.   This is
   about the worst thing it could do; any time someone tries to respond to a
   message by  "reply to sender" (assuming  the reply will  be private), the
   whole list will see the message. 

Can you  fix this?  If  not, I would  strongly recommend moving  the mailing
list to a different server which doesn't have these problems. 

---

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:30:41 -0700

> The new mailing list server does several objectionable things: 
...

It also doesn't add a "Sender:" field, which is useful to filter on.

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>           USC Information Sciences Institute
---
You are currently subscribed to ppvpn as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]