Subject: FW: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ppvpn-cl-tunneling-vpn-00.txt

From: "Marco Carugi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:27:30 +0100

All, 

This is a request for WG Last Call.
Authors believe the work is done after the last ID update and solicit the
call. 
There were issues with this draft in past mailing list exchanges (technical
issues, positioning of this ID in the context of PPVPN work/objectives), it
was then decided to review the situation after some updates planned by
authors.
Let's see how you feel now.
 
Marco 
 
> Dear Marco,
> 
> As you have known, we submitted the updated version of our draft as
> draft-ietf-ppvpn-cl-tuneling-vpn-00.txt. Section 3.2.3 is newly added
> and sections 1., 2. and 3.1 are mainly updated.
> 
> We believe the work is done.  Therefore, we would like to solicit WG
> last call.
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> Takeshi Kuwahara.
> 
> >A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories
> .
> >This draft is a work item of the Provider Provisioned Virtual Private 
> >Networks Working Group of the IETF.
> >
> >         Title           : Scalable Connectionless Tunneling Architecture
and
> >                           Protocols for VPNs
> >         Author(s)       : T. Kuwahara et al.
> >         Filename        : draft-ietf-ppvpn-cl-tunneling-vpn-00.txt
> >         Pages           : 29
> >         Date            : 2002-10-3
> >
> >This document defines a connectionless tunneling architecture that is
> >applicable to layer 3 PE-based virtual private networks and specifies
> >protocols for implementing it.  This tunneling architecture is
> >designed to facilitate scalability and reliability.  A prominent
> >feature of it is to provide VPN tunnels over a connectionless
> >network.  Since a connectionless network can provide full mesh
> >connectivity without a connection establishment procedure, the
> >architecture enables scalable operation of a VPN more efficiently
> >than connection-oriented tunneling technologies.
> >
> >A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ppvpn-cl-tunneling-vpn-00.tx
t

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:49:47 -0800

Marco,

> Let's see how you feel now.

From the PPVPN Charter:

   Note that it is not a goal of this WG to develop new protocols
   or extend existing ones. Rather, the purpose is to document and
   identify gaps and shortcomings in individual approaches with
   regards to the requirements. In the case that specific work
   items are identified, such work will be done in an appropriate
   WG. Taking on specific protocol work items in this WG will
   require rechartering.

From the draft:

   This document defines a connectionless (CL) tunneling architecture
   that is applicable to layer 3 PE-based virtual private networks [L3-
   PPVPN-FR].  It also specifies protocols for implementing the CL
   tunneling architecture.

Therefore, in order for the PPVPN WG to even accept this as a WG
document either (a) the protocol described in this document (see
Section 3) has to be taken out, or (b) the WG has to be rechartered.
With this in mind I would suggest that first either (a) or (b)
should happen, and after that we would revisit the issue of WG Last
Call.

Moreover, as the charter said that "Standardization of specific
approaches will be gauged on (I)SP support.", the WG needs to have
information on the support of (I)SPs for the approach specified in
draft-ietf-ppvpn-cl-tunneling-vpn-00.txt.

Yakov.