Subject: Re: [precis] consolidating FreeformClass profiles?

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 19:44:55 -0700

Seeing no objections, I'm going to make this change.

On 11/30/14, 8:04 PM, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet wrote:
> I think we've done a pretty good job of consolidating some of the
> IdentiferClass profiles, thanks to prodding from John Klensin.
>
> Now I'm wondering if we can prune the list of FreeformClass profiles.
> Currently we have:
>
> Password (draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis)
> Resourcepart (draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis)
> Nickname (draft-ietf-precis-nickname)
>
> The Password and Resourcepart profiles are similar: the main differences
> are use of the Bidi Rule and removal of leading and trailing whitespace
> in Resourcepart (the latter is more of a UI consideration and probably
> doesn't belong in the Resourcepart profile in the first place). I think
> we *might* be able to point to the Password profile from 6122bis and
> remove the Resourcepart profile (I'll need to post to the XMPP WG list
> about that). The "Password" name feels a bit strange in this context (I
> might prefer a more generic name like "OpaqueString"), but that's a nit.
>
> The Nickname profile is different enough in purpose and function that I
> think we'll need to keep it.
>
> Peter
>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:38:32 -0700

On 12/3/14, 6:07 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 3 December 2014 at 02:44, Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
> I'm not wholly sure I fully understand the change you're proposing,
> which is why I've not commented.

The change is to not define a separate profile but instead point to the 
OpaqueString profile from draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis. We are working 
hard to reduce the number of profiles, since multiplication of profiles 
beyond necessity will increase the possibility of user confusion.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-framework-20#section-5.1

> I suspect I need to spend some time getting to grips with Precis, and
> what the distinction is between Precis and Stringprep. Help here - such
> as a discussion at the XMPP Summit at the end of January - would be very
> welcome.

Unfortunately, now is the time to understand it, because we are pushing 
hard to finish this work in both PRECIS WG and XMPP WG.

This overview might be useful:

https://stpeter.im/files/i18n-tutorial.pdf

I might even have time to make a few updates to that soon so that it 
addresses your questions.

The following readings might prove useful:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-framework-20#section-1
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4690
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6885

> The only thing I feel qualified to comment on is that resources in XMPP
> shouldn't have spaces stripped; I think that'd be a surprising change in
> a handful of cases.

I'm proposing that we use this profile for resourceparts:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis-12#section-4.2

There is no space-stripping there, but there is conversion of non-ASCII 
spaces to ASCII space.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 13:07:22 +0000

> Seeing no objections, I'm going to make this change.

I'm not wholly sure I fully understand the change you're proposing, which
is why I've not commented.

I suspect I need to spend some time getting to grips with Precis, and what
the distinction is between Precis and Stringprep. Help here - such as a
discussion at the XMPP Summit at the end of January - would be very welcome.

The only thing I feel qualified to comment on is that resources in XMPP
shouldn't have spaces stripped; I think that'd be a surprising change in a
handful of cases.