Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Last Call for PWG draft on: Internet Printing Protocol ( IPP): P roduction Printing Attributes - Set1, Version December 18, 2000 - c losin g on January 12, 2001

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:09:24 -0800

All,

Note that this message is about a PWG draft on IPP (not part of the IETF IPP
work).

This is a second Last Call, as we have had a number of changes since the 
original Last Call in October 2000.

The relevant draft document is: Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):
Production Printing Attributes - Set1, Version December 18, 2000

The first draft of this document was introduced to the PWG in December 1999.
The document is intended to be published as an IEEE-ISTO PWG Standard
document as an extension to the RFC2911 from the IETF.

The purpose of a Last Call is to give everybody a last chance to look over
the draft text and determine whether they agree that the content now
reflects our technical agreements and has support from a majority of the
technical experts that have worked on it.

Anybody interested in the content of the draft can send their comments,
whether they participate in the PWG work or not. 

Please send your comments to the PWG IPP DL at: [email-masked].

The draft can be found in different versions at (there is no TXT version):

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218-rev.doc
	
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218-rev.rtf
	
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218-rev.pdf
	
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218.doc
	
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218.rtf
	
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-001218.pdf

	The abstract is:

	This document specifies an extension to the Internet Printing
Protocol/1.0 (IPP) [RFC2565, RFC2566] and IPP/1.1 [RFC2910, RFC2911].  This
extension consists primarily of Job Template attributes defined for
submitting print jobs primarily (but not limited to) to production printers.
These attributes permit a user to control and/or override instructions in
the document content to perform the following functions:  print on document
covers, control the positioning of stapling, force pages to the front side
of the media, identify an imposition template, insert sheets into the
document, provide an accounting id, provide an accounting user id, request
accounting sheets, provide job sheet messages, request error sheets, provide
a message to the operator, control the media used for job sheets, request
media by characteristic (size, weight, etc.), request to check the media
characteristics in an input tray, specify the presentation direction of page
images with number-up, and shift the images of finished pages.  

	This extension also defines the "current-page-order" Job Description
attribute, the "user-defined-values-supported" and
"max-stitching-locations-supported" Printer Description attributes, and the
'resources-are-not-supported' value for the "job-state-reasons" Job
Description attribute.  Some additional "media" keyword values are defined
for use with the "media" and "media-col" Job Template attribute.

	The change history is:

	13.1	Changes to the October 26, 2000 to create the December 18,
2000 version

	The following changes were made to the October 26, 2000 version to
create the December 18, 2000 version based on discussions at the PWG-IPP WG
meeting, December 7, 2000:

			1.	Changed the image shift attributes so that
they affect images before imposition, instead of after wards, but continue
to affect impressions after "number-up".  In order to clarify this,
introduced terms:  Imposition, Number-Up, Finished Document, Finished Page,
Finished-Page Image, and Finished-Page-Image Cell and indicated that the
shifting attributes affect Finished-Page Images, i.e., what the human sees
in the Finished Document.
			2.	Added figures to help illustrate the
concepts of "number-up" and Imposition.
			3.	Added the "imposition-template" attribute so
as to have a real, but open ended, Imposition attribute.
			4.	Clarified that "force-front-side" also
affects Finished-Page Images.
			5.	Added 'photographic' and 'cardstock' values
to the "media-type" member attribute.
			6.	Deleted 'na-8x10' and 'na-5x7' media size
keywords, since they were added to RFC 2911.
			7.	Changed the name of "presentation-direction"
back to "presentation-direction-number-up" to clarify that it affects only
"number-up".  ISO DPA has "presentation-direction" that affects text
direction, while "presentation-direction-number-up" does not.

	The IANA section also includes the information that Ned Freed
indicated in his recent mail message on some IETF documents that would help
IANA in putting IPP extensions (such as this) into the Registry by providing
them with the verbatim information for the registry.

The PWG rules state that Last Calls for drafts need to be at least 10
working days. 

We will start the Last Call today on December 22, and taking the holidays
into account, the deadline for
comments is January 12, 2000.

If we get back further comments, we will try to resolve those before voting
on the document in the PWG for publishing.

The final vote in the PWG can be done either in a PWG meeting or over email.
We are likely to do the voting for this document over email. 

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair of the IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG

-----

Carl-Uno Manros
Manager, Print Services
Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]