Subject: PMP> Posted final ASN.1 for Port Mon MIB (10 September 2005)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:14:55 -0700

Hi folks,                                   Saturday (10 September 2005)

[Per our discussion at the PWG Steering Committee meeting this week]

I just posted the ASN.1-only final release of the Printer Port Monitor
MIB on the PWG FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/wd/wd-pmpportmib10-20050910.mib

The PPM/1.0 content is now frozen.  Vendors adding support for automatic
driver installation should proceed with their development plans.

Below are:

(1) Change log for the ASN.1 (to be inserted by Jerry Thrasher)

(2) Change log for the body text (to be inserted by Jerry Thrasher)

(3) New body text (to be changed by Jerry Thrasher)

Jerry - please make all body text changes, merge the two change log
entries below into Appendix B, and create a 'wd-' version for Formal
Vote.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Change log for the ASN.1]

10 September 2005 - preparation for Formal Vote

* deleted ASN.1 comment that PWG Secretary should assign MIB module
  number, as the value of 'enterprises pwg(2699) mibs(1) ppmMIB(2)' has
  been assigned;

* revised REFERENCE clause of 'ppmPortName' to clarify correspondence
  with 'prtChannelInformation' in IETF Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805];

* revised DESCRIPTION clause of 'ppmPortProtocolTargetPort' to clarify
  that it MAY be used with any protocol suite (Internet, NetWare, etc.),
  per comments from Bert Wijnen;

* revised DESCRIPTION clauses of 'ppmPrinterPreferredPortIndex',
  'ppmPrinterHrDeviceIndex', 'ppmPortProtocolType', and
  'ppmPortPrtChannelIndex' to clarify that
  the value of zero is an out-of-band value;

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Change log for the body text]

10 September 2005 - preparation for Formal Vote

* inserted new first two paragraphs in section 'Relationship to IETF
  Printer MIB' to describe 'ppmPrinterName' and 'ppmPortName';

* revised first bullet of section 'Conformance Requirements' to include
  all three object groups;

* revised second bullet of section 'Internationalization Considerations'
  to include all three localized text string objects;

* revised first bullet of section 'Conformance Requirements' to include
  all three object groups;

* deleted third bullet of section 'Internationalization Considerations'
  (redundant description of 'ppmPortName');

* deleted unused [RFC1213] from section 'Informative References'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[new body text]

(1) Insert new first two paragraphs in section 4.2.4 'Relationship to
    IETF Printer MIB':

The PPM MIB defines the 'ppmPrinterName' object, which MAY contain a
user-friendly printer name in the locale in 'ppmGeneralNaturalLanguage'.
This object corresponds to the 'prtGeneralPrinterName' object defined in
IETF Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805].

The PPM MIB defines the 'ppmPrinterName' object, which MAY contain a
user-friendly port name in the locale in 'ppmGeneralNaturalLanguage'.
This object MAY correspond to the 'prtChannelInformation' object defined
in IETF Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805].

(2) Replace first bullet of section 6 'Conformance Requirements' with:

* MUST implement every object defined in the General, Printer, and Port
  groups (although no specific protocol type need be supported)

(3) Replace second bullet of section 8 'Internationalization
    Considerations' with:

* The PPM MIB defines three localized text string objects in the UTF-8
  charset [RFC3629] with their natural language tag specified in
  'ppmGeneralNaturalLanguage'):

  - 'ppmPrinterName' (supports meaningful printer names in any language)

  - 'ppmPortName' (supports meaningful port names in any language)

  - 'ppmPortServiceNameOrURI' (supports future UTF-8, but now ASCII)

(4) Delete (redundant) third bullet of section 8 'Internationalization
    Considerations' describing 'ppmPortName'.

(5) Delete unused [RFC1213] from section 11 'Informative References'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------