Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Multifunction Device Job Modeling Discussion

From: "Zehler, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:30:27 -0400

All,
 
The Semantic Model Working Group is beginning discussions on the
modeling of Jobs for Multifunction Devices (MFD).  This is part of the
PWG Semantic Model 2.0 work.  We drew upon the WIMS and Usage Counter
work to get the basic definitions of the services.  We will be working
on those definitions at a later time.  We are now beginning discussions
on what Jobs should look like for the various services in an MFD.  I
believe the members of the PWG are uniquely qualified to address MFD
modeling.  Similar work for the Printer has been very beneficial across
the industry and applicable in many network environments.
 
Below are the logistics for the May 31 teleconference.  If you have an
interest, please participate.  If you have an opinion, please speak up
and provide some information that will help shape the direction of the
discussions.  If you have others within your company that may have an
interest, please forward this message on to them.
 
Interested parties should subscribe to the Semantic Model mail list.
All discussions will occur on that list. 
 
Pete

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Innovation Group
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Zehler,
Peter
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SM> Semantic Model Teleconference - May 31

All, 
On Wednesday May 31 there will be a Semantic Model Teleconference . This
week we will focus on Job modeling in a multifunction device.  Anyone
with an opinion is invited to participate.  Anyone wishing to present
send some information should make it available to the mailing list and
myself at least a couple of days before the teleconference.  I will
include it in an updated agenda.  It does not have to be formal.  Any
pictures that will help illustrate your position would be helpful for
the discussion.  

The latest straw man proposal for a PWG Semantic Model v2.0 Schema is
available at
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip> >.
Those of you who will not have access to MyMeetings access should have
the updated schema available for the meeting.  I also posted a couple of
schema diagrams showing the representation of contained and referenced
jobs from the Semantic Model
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PrintJobsContained.png
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PrintJobsContained.png>
> and
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PrintJobsReferenced.png
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PrintJobsReferenced.png
> >.   I will post any additional material as it becomes available.

Date/Time:
May 31 2006
1 pm - 2 pm eastern
Dial-In
Tele-Con Number:1-866-365-4406
PassCode: 2635888
WebEx Meeting Details (http://www.mymeetings.com
<http://www.mymeetings.com> ):
Meeting Number: 747275324
Meeting Passcode: PwgSm
Meeting Host: Peter Zehler
Join Instructions for Instant Net Conference:
1. Join the meeting now:
http://www.mymeetings.com/xerox/nc/join.php?i=747275324&p=PwgSm&t=c
<http://www.mymeetings.com/xerox/nc/join.php?i=747275324&p=PwgSm&t=c> 
2. Enter the required fields.
3. Indicate that you have read the Privacy Policy.
4. Click on Proceed. If you have problems with the above link, go to
http://www.mymeetings.com <http://www.mymeetings.com>  , select "join an
event" and use the meeting number and passcode from above. 

Agenda:         1) Approve previous meeting minutes 
                2) Agenda bashing 
                3) Walk through the updated straw man schema
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip> >
Focusing on Services and Jobs

                4) Discuss alternatives to Jobs schema structure
(containment versus reference) 
                4) Discuss Job classes (Common attributes of jobs,
service specific attributes, differences in the binding of jobs to
instances such as print versus scan)

                5) Discuss next steps and dates 

Pete

I have created an updated version of the SM schema. 
A local version (i.e. relative links to schema files stored in the same
directory) of the schema is available at 
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip
<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic-Model/Schema/PWG-SM-051706.zip> >. I
have included an XMLSPY project file. 

What I have done since the last update is 
1) Added Ira's WIMS updates to the SM 
        a) WIMS Agents, Managers and Resources are added 
        b) Subunits, System and Devices added 
        c) Services are all renamed to clarify 
2) Made temporary edits to all schema so they are valid individually
(simplifies editing) 
3) Added PrintServicesZ under Services to contrast reference versus
containment of Jobs 
What I have not done is 
1) Updated the master list of elements 
2) Done anything to the SM specification 
Pete  

Peter Zehler
XEROX
Xerox Innovation Group
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
M/S 128-25E
Webster NY, 14580-9701