Subject: [proto-team] RE: draft-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext-00.txt

From: "Lee, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:04:21 -0400

Hi Henrick,

I'll definitely read those documents and give you my feed back soon.
To answer to you question, let me briefly explain how a notification
gets automatically sent when the state of a document gets changed.
Within the IESG I-D Tracker, there is field which contains a list of
email addresses to which the I-D Tracker send out a notification when
the state is changed. That field is populated automatically by the
tracker when a document is entered to the tracker. Once populated, the
list of email addresses in that field can be manually updated by ADs.

Of course, such a feature can be used in this new tracker for the WG
chairs.

Regards,
Michael.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henrik Levkowetz [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:34 AM
> To: Lee, Michael
> Cc: [email-masked]; Allison Mankin; Fuller, Barbara
> Subject: draft-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext-00.txt
> 
> Hi Michael,
> 
> 
>   Together with Allison I've written up a draft on
> "Requirements on I-D Tracker Extensions for Working Group Chairs",
> which was submitted just before the weekend:
> 
>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext
-
> 00.txt
> 
> and a companion draft covering IAB and IRTF document states:
> 
>
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-proto-iab-irtf-tracker-ex
t-
> 00.txt
> 
> 
> It would be very good if you could read through especially the first
> one, and give feedback.
> 
> 
> There's also one question which has come up in relation to state
> transitions being able to trigger notifications:  Is this an ability
> the tracker already have, which could be used to (for instance) send
> notifications to people who distribute cross-area review tasks when
> a document enters the state "Awaiting Cross-area Review"?
> 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> 	Henrik

_______________________________________________
proto-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/proto-team

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:48:36 +0200

Hi Michael,

> Of course, such a feature can be used in this new tracker for the WG

Ok.  From your description I get the impression that this is one
list of email addresses, for all notifications - it is not one list
per state/substate?

In that case, there's a potential additional feature which I'm not
at all sure should be part of the wgchair tracker package, which is
to add per-state/substate notification lists.  On the other hand,
this can be handled by the more general notification infrastructure
which I hope to have someone build over the summer.

One example where this kind of state-specific notification could be
appropriate is when a document enters "Awaiting MIB Review" - then
a message should go to the person who dispatches MIB reviews; but he
should not get notifications of all state transitions for all MIB
documents, before and after the MIB review point.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your feedback on the documents.
The most recent versions are available at 

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/proto/

- I've done some updates after the -00 versions, based on other
comments received.

Best,

	Henrik