Subject: RE: <poll> result codes

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:14:33 -0400

Hmm, I think you're right -- the response code says that a message is
dequeued with a request, but the text says it should only be dequeued with
an ack.  I think I need to fix that response text.  I'll send this to the
list so others can note the issue.

When I next edit the EPP core doc, the text for the 1301 response code
should be changed to something like this:

"1301    "Command completed successfully; ack to dequeue message"
This response code MUST be returned when responding to a <poll>
request command and a message has been retrieved from the server
message queue."

Thanks for catching this!

-Scott-

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Castillo Cortazar [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 5:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: <poll> result codes

Hi Scott.

I was writing use-cases for our EPP implementation and I have 
a few comments about the <poll> command and the result codes.

In the draft-ietf-provreg-epp-06.txt document we can read:

2.8.2.3 EPP <poll> Command
  ..........................................................After a
  message has been received by the client, the client MUST respond to
  the message with an explicit acknowledgement to confirm that the
  message has been received.  A server MUST dequeue the message and
  decrement the queue counter after receiving acknowledgement from the
  client, making the next message in the queue (if any) available for
  retrieval.
  
The message is dequeued just after receiving an acknowledgement 
from the client.
  
I think the result codes for the "req" and "ack" options of the <poll>
command server response examples are mixed, or inverted, although 
the message "count" attributes look good.

Even the result code description looks a little confusing for me..

  1301    "Command completed successfully; message dequeued"
  This response code MUST be returned when responding to a <poll>
  request command and a message has been dequeued from the server
  message queue.

The message is not dequeued when responding to a <poll> request, 
but when responding to a <poll> acknowledge command.

You can take a look at the <poll> examples and the result codes definitions.

Greetings, and I hope not being a bother.

Roger Castillo Cortazar
NIC-Mexico http://www.nic.mx
Top Level Domain .MX