Subject: Service Message Format

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:08:29 -0400

Something Hong mentioned in one of his recent notes got me thinking about
service messages (the kind that can be retrieved using the <poll> command)
and how their format is currently (un)specified.  The current specs use the
XML Schema "normalizedString" type for the <msg> element; this allows for
text messages, but no additional XML.  I was wondering if folks might find
it useful to allow XML in the <msg> element so that it would be possible for
a server operator to define parsable message structures.

-Scott-

---

From: Patrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:30:31 +0200

> a server operator to define parsable message structures.

If we really want to be extensible, I think we should not force
non-XML strings in poll messages, thus we should make everything
possible so that XML strings in poll messages will work.

I do not think that this makes big changes, so I am for this idea.

Patrick.

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

agreed, allow xml in the <msg> element.

-rick

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:20:21 -0400

I think "allow" but not "force" would be good.
Edmon