Subject: EPP PUSH: Session Property Re-negotiation

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:33:59 -0500

Hi, all,

This quesiton has to do with whether the server can change the session
property regarding PUSH or not PUSH after the session is set up.

At present, if a session is set up for PUSH, the server is allowed to push
data to the client and the client shall be ready to process server-pushed
messages. On the other hand, if the session is not set up for PUSH, the
server shall not push data to the client and the client shall reject any
server-pushed message. The PUSH vs. not PUSH property is set during session
establishment and persists throughout the session until it is closed down.
This is the basic PUSH.

I would like to know how people on the list feel about it: is it desirable
to allow session property re-negotiation after the session is set up?

Thanks!

--Hong

---

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:15:52 -0500

I agree with you on this issue, too. In the case of TCP, since the server
cannot initiate a new session, if it does not have other push-enabled
sessions after terminating the current one, it has to wait for the client to
establish a new session (an negotiate it as push-enabled) before it can push
data again to the client.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollenbeck, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 9:07 AM
To: 'Liu, Hong'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: EPP PUSH: Session Property Re-negotiation

> to allow session property re-negotiation after the session is set up?

I think it best to deal with renegotiation only by ending a session and
starting a new one.  It keeps things simpler and consistent with other
session negotiation features.

-Scott-