Subject: EPP and # of nameservers

From: Julián Muñoz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:06:59 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I would like to know if the EPP protocol forces 2 nameservers per domain
name, or it won't work.

Or it is really a decision of a registry to not allow only 1 nameserver.

Thank you,

-- 
Saludos de Julián
-.-

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:38:23 -0400

I would be very surprised if EPP itself did force the rule of at least 2
nameservers, cause I think a domain could be created with no name servers.
EPP is a general provisioning framework, registry policies would be
implemented in the registry system after obtaining information that was sent
via EPP.  This is based on my understanding and our implementation of EPP to
complement our Registry System.
Edmon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julián Muñoz" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:06 AM
Subject: EPP and # of nameservers

Hello,

Thank you,

--
Saludos de Julián
-.-

---

From: "Ram Mohan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:29:55 -0400

EPP itself, afaik, does not impose a 2 name server limit -- we've created
test names with no host objects associated.

we don't publish to the zone file if we have less than 2 name servers -
that's a policy decision, not a protocol one.

-ram
--------------------------------------------------------
Ram Mohan
Vice President, Business Operations / CTO
Afilias.INFO
p: +1-215-706-5700; f: +1-215-706-5701
e: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:08:15 -0400

EPP does not impose a 2 name server limit (i.e., does not enforce a 2 
name server minimum).

Such a limit is a registry-specific policy decision.  EPP is designed 
to be policy neutral.  I.e., a registrar can send an EPP schema with 
just one name server in a request and the registry has the option to 
deny the request.  This option is taken at a layer above the EPP 
protocol.  The only diffence to EPP is whether the registrar returns 
an 'ack' or 'nack' to the request.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Jens-Uwe Gaspar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:07:15 +0200

Hi,

> Or it is really a decision of a registry to not allow only 1 nameserver.

It's registry-policy.

Remember, if registry uses nameserver-objects, then there must be
a possibility to attach glue-nameservers to a domain:

  NEW domain foo.info (without nameservers)
  NEW host  ns1.foo.info
  NEW host  ns2.foo.info
  UPD domain foo.info (attach ns1/ns2.foo.info)

First step is needed, because you cannot create nameserver-objects,
if the parent domain is not already existing.

--

Kind regards,

Jens-Uwe Gaspar

________________________________________________________________________
Jens-Uwe Gaspar                              Schlund + Partner AG
E-Mail: [email-masked]                       Erbprinzenstr. 4 - 12
Tel. +49-721-91374-50                        76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
Fax  +49-721-91374-20                        http://www.schlund.de

---

From: "Michael Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:44:32 -0400

Saludos de Julián,

The requirement for two nameservers really relates to best practises in
respect of DNS related RFC's such as this excerpt from #1912.  So I
would say in a registry that it’s a policy decision based on separate
considerations of EPP.   

Hope that helps.

2.8 Authority and Delegation Errors (NS records)

   You are required to have at least two nameservers for every domain,
   though more is preferred.  Have secondaries outside your network.  If
   the secondary isn't under your control, periodically check up on them
   and make sure they're getting current zone data from you.  Queries to
   their nameserver about your hosts should always result in an
   "authoritative" response.  If not, this is called a "lame
   delegation".  A lame delegations exists when a nameserver is
   delegated responsibility for providing nameservice for a zone (via NS
   records) but is not performing nameservice for that zone (usually
   because it is not set up as a primary or secondary for the zone).

Michael Young

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Julián Muñoz
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: EPP and # of nameservers

Hello,

Thank you,

-- 
Saludos de Julián
-.-