Subject: Last-Verified Date Contact Element

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:34:31 -0700 (PDT)

Scott && IESG,

I realized that there is an item we have overlooked in the wg. In private
conversations, myself and others have noted that there is no way to
identify the last time a contact object was verified.

I propose that we add a "Last-Verified" date element to the contact object
so that registries/registrars may express the last time the object was
verified. Since contacts have no expiration date and the "last-modified"
date is irreverent to verification.

I believe that this will aid in identifying old, stale and irreverent data
within a registry and if the element is published in CRISP or whois to the
community in general.

I know it is late in the game for identifing issues with the epp proposals
so I have CCed the IESG.

-rick

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:21:54 -0400

Rick,

> date is irreverent to verification.

What does "verified" mean?

> within a registry and if the element is published in CRISP or whois to the

How?
Why?

What prevents a client providing some authInfo from also attempting to set
upID and set or modify upDate?

Eric

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:34:22 -0400

> the updated date and last-modified date are managed by the registry.

You mean that the sponsoring client can't set upID or set or modify upDate?

I didn't know that.

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

-rick

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:40:16 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rick Wesson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Last-Verified Date Contact Element 

> the updated date and last-modified date are managed by the registry.

"the registry" ?

With 100% of 128-bit DNS .COM Registrations flowing thru the 4 companies below,
they can collectively be viewed as "the registry". They have many fields and a lot of whois
information. More fields can of course be added by the 128-bit DNS .COM Registry.
http://www.domainnameconference.com

Average wholesale cost...$7.735
======= Example 4 RegisTRA Model =======
http://www.cashbackalliance.com/domain/domainsfor619.aspx
$6.19
http://www.wildwestdomains.com/pricelist.asp
$6.75
http://www.srsplus.com/en-def-5d142899df19/en/srsplus/partners_pricing.shtml
$8.00
http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/
$10.00
======================================================

Jim Fleming
128-bit DNS is closer than you think...
0:201 .COM
http://ipv8.dyndns.tv
http://ipv8.dyns.cx
http://ipv8.no-ip.com
http://ipv8.no-ip.biz
http://ipv8.no-ip.info
http://ipv8.myip.us
http://ipv8.dyn.ee
http://ipv8.community.net.au

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:29:03 -0500

Rick,

> the updated date and last-modified date are managed by the registry.

Here's what I ment:

The <contact:upID> is an <info> response element that contains the identifier
of the client that last updated the contact object. The <contact:clID> element
that contains the identifier of the sponsoring client. This client has the
valid authInfo, and can perform an <update> on the contact object in question.
If that client wants to date-stamp/touch a client object for the purpose of
associating some temporal identifier to "verification" (and I still don't
know wha that means), isn't this the recipie? This either sets or modifies
the <contact:upID> and sets or modifies the <contact:upDate>.

It is true these elements are managed by the registry, but they are done so
in response to client-initiated events.

I guess I'm still in the dark about the mechanism, as well as the purpose,
and utility.

Color me clueless,
Eric