Subject: RE: Guidelines doc

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:13:45 -0500

> This document seems to border on being a guideline vs. a 
> requirement document.

It's supposed to be a guidelines document.  Are you saying that it reads
more like a requirements document?  If so, I could probably rephrase the way
the 2119 directives are used to make the focus more clear.

> Section 2.1
> 
> Besides an extension being "informational" it can also be 
> "experimental."

Sure, good point.

> Section 2.3
> 
> Allowing a server to deny to a client access to an extension probably 
> should migrate to the base spec.  Would this impact the state diagram?

I don't think so as it's all part of the <login>
authentication/authorization process.

-Scott-

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:08:13 -0800

>the 2119 directives are used to make the focus more clear.

Somewhat.  I don't have the paper on me at the moment to cite what 
passage gave me that idea.  (Try a search for "MUST" or "SHOULD". 
Telltale signs of requirements.)

>authentication/authorization process.

Okay, but my coinciveness is only about 85% right now. ;)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer