Subject: FYI: I-D ACTION:draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:44:15 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

Delivery-Date: Wed Oct 23 09:16:00 2002
Delivery-Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:16:00 -0400
To: IETF-Announce: ;
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:36:22 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

- --NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: EPP transport mapping for SMTP
	Author(s)	: E. Brunner-Williams
	Filename	: draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2002-10-22
	
This document describes how to exchange EPP content using SMTP
transport.  The data is packaged using standard MIME content-types.
Authentication and data security are obtained by using OpenPGP
security body parts or Cryptographic Message Syntax (S/MIME).
Authenticated acknowledgements make use of multipart/signed replies
to the original SMTP message.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

- --NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

- --OtherAccess--

- --NextPart--

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:05:43 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 09:44:15AM -0400,
 Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename	: draft-brunner-epp-smtp-00.txt

I believe it would be better to call it "EPP transport mapping for
E-mail". You do not seem to use any SMTP feature in the draft, thus
allowing EPP over UUCP as well.

(BTW, there are some places in the draft when you say 822 when you
probably mean 2822.)

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:48:55 -0400

> allowing EPP over UUCP as well.

I didn't intend for this memo to specify transport directly over UUCP,
that is using uux and uuxqt daemons, e.g.,

	ub % uux -z pseudo-random!rmail epp+uucp < `cat domain_create.xml`
 
	(execute "rmail epp+uucp" on pseudo-random, with domain_create.xml
	 as the text to be mailed, from utterly-bogus, nic-name "ub")

so that is my oversight.

> (BTW, there are some places in the draft when you say 822 when you

Yup.

Thanks for reading the draft. If you want to toss me some tidbits on
modern uucp use near you, I'd appreciate it. I'm always curious.

TiA,
Eric

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:01:35 +0200

[I clearly have a problem with English. Let me say the same thing in a
different way.]

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:48:55PM -0400,
 Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]> wrote 

> I didn't intend for this memo to specify transport directly over UUCP,

I never asked that. I suggested to *rename* the draft (not changing
its actual content) from "EPP over SMTP" to "EPP over e-mail".

Rationale: you do not use SMTP at all and your mapping will work as
well over any e-mail transport, UUCP, SMTP, X400, etc.

> modern uucp use near you, I'd appreciate it. I'm always curious.

I know a computer security company where the Internet email server is
not connected physically to the LAN. Mail is spooled by UUCP, put on a
floppy and travel to the internal mail server one meter (but without
any network link) away.

Of course, I would not do EPP that way, but my idea was we should not
limit to SMTP when the draft makes no use of any SMTP feature.

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:12:37 -0400

> [I clearly have a problem with English. Let me say the same thing in a

Thank you for making the effort.

> its actual content) from "EPP over SMTP" to "EPP over e-mail".

Understood. Now.

> well over any e-mail transport, UUCP, SMTP, X400, etc.

Actually that was my intent, though I hadn't thought of X.400, and it
was one of the little reasons why I prefer 821/822 over 2821/2822, the
reference to X.25 -- openness to something other than TCP as transport.

Thanks for the uucp-in-action (1m air gap). This is the class of use I
had in mind, for registrars using dial-up (non-ICANN applications of EPP).

> limit to SMTP when the draft makes no use of any SMTP feature.

I guess I was recalling sendmail's MAILER(uucp) and MAILER(smtp) and
UUCP_RELAY, rulesets for address mapping  ...

Mea culpa.

Dave suggested moving all of the MIME security to another document. Any
comment?

Thanks again.

Eric

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:37:47 -0400

> E-mail".

Is there something I can point to that defines "email"? This sounds goofy
to me (my own question I mean), since we find this kind of stuff everywhere:

	BCPs and other RFCs may be obtained using HTTP, FTP, or email.
	See the RFC Editor Web page http://www.rfc-editor.org.

(From the RFC/BCP/STD boilerplate)

Eric