Subject: our two past-due deadlines

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:08:54 -0400

According to the automated powers that be we are overdue on two items:

# PROVREG:Sep 2002:First draft of EPP Extensions Guidelines draft
# PROVREG:Sep 2002:First draft of EPP over SMTP

The first - Scott has a personal submission in the hopper and the 
chairs already asked if the group wanted to adopt or not.  No one 
replied.  Based on an earlier call for the doc - at our last in 
person meeting, The chairs are going to ask Scott and the I-D people 
to add the doc to the WG (name change and put it on the charter page).

The second - Eric has a document not in the I-D repository and "NOT 
offered in accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026" on the EPP/SMTP 
topic.  As such, the document isn't eligible to be "just transferred" 
into the group even though it is publicly available and a reference 
to it exists in the mailing list archives.  The (one) eligibility 
hurdle is the prohibition of the IETF to make changes to the document.

So the question remains open, but with at least more input on the 
topic available, whether an SMTP draft will be produced.

To the previous volunteers: unless you either express interest again 
or produce a document or documents as personal products, the chairs 
will consider you as "unvolunteering."

The chairs are reluctant to just choose an editor(s) for the draft 
*in the absence of a demand for us to do so*.  This is because it is 
up to the WG members to determine if this draft is desired and to 
support its development.  The chairs shouldn't be determining the 
course of the group, but making sure the group adheres to the charter 
and makes headway into solving our problems.  (So much for the 
soapbox.)

So - if the volunteers are still interested, say so or better yet 
submit works that the WG can edit.  If the group wants to an editor 
to be named, let the chairs know...

But please let the chairs get our milestones moved!  You don't know 
the horrors of the IETF Secretariat torture chamber. 
Drip-spam-drip-spam-... ;)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:09:39 -0400

> replied.

Yes.

> topic.

I'm waiting for substantive comments from the 822/edi/this lists. I'm
going to give it another few days and then submit a "full conformance"
draft prior to the pending -00 cut-off -- I've thought of a few things
since.

So far, I've heard from two contributors to this list. Thanks guys!

Eric

---

From: "Ram Mohan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:15:37 -0400

ed,
i'm interested in the EPP Extensions Guidelines doc, and look forward to
reviewing it prior to stating my opinion re: adoption.

-ram

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:20:14 -0400

>reviewing it prior to stating my opinion re: adoption.

Just in case I need to mention this, the draft exists as a non-WG 
item in the I-D repository:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-ext-00.txt

With the -00 draft deadline coming up for the Atlanta meetings (at 
which we have no time slot) coming soon, if there are no opinions 
stated by early Monday (-0400) the draft will be renamed and enter 
the group.

Recall - just because the draft goes in doesn't mean it will pass. 
If there are serious problems with the draft, it will be kicked back 
out.  A few drafts have been kicked out over the course of the WG.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:34:39 -0400

> offered in accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026" on the EPP/SMTP 

OK. I found the noDerivativeWorksNow bit (undocumented) in Marshall's
xml2rfc.tcl and the IPR boiler-plate now reads:

: Status of this Memo
: 
:    This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
:    all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the right to
:    produce derivative works is not granted.  (If this document becomes
:    part of an IETF working group activity, then it will be brought into
:    full compliance with Section 10 of RFC2026.)

I added an i18n considerations section (why one can use things the
author of BCP47 managed to miss, rather than just use them without
comment) and I suppose there are other bits I could add too.

The -55 -00 cut-off date is 10/28. I'll submit to the I-D Admin on 10/21.

This allows a week to resubmit as a WG doc, prior to -55, or anytime after
04/11, or never.

Eric