Subject: [ietf-provreg] EPP over SOAP

From: Patrycja Wegrzynowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:40:05 +0200

Hi all,

A few years ago 'EPP over SOAP' draft was published (expired on March
2003). I haven't found any newer publications on EPP over SOAP and I
wonder if the idea has just been abandonded...

In my opinion having standarized SOAP layer for EPP is a very neat thing
(SOAP as an industry standard nowadays), so any work in progress on this
topic? What is the status of that draft? Maybe I have missed some new
edition of it?

Best regards,
Patrycja Wegrzynowicz

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:34:19 -0400

>wonder if the idea has just been abandonded...

I believe this is the most recent, available, version:
     http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-liu-epp-soap/

It hasn't been forgotten, but work has been shelved.  Coincidentally, 
in the last week or so, I found a copy of the most recent 
internet-draft and re-read it.  "We" (I was a co-chair of the group 
at the time, I know work for/with all but one of the draft editors) 
have been considering reviving the effort.

>topic? What is the status of that draft? Maybe I have missed some new

The WG moved away from SOAP and other transport(-like) mechanisms, 
other than TLS/SSL over TCP prior to concluding the work on its 
charter.

For instance, the WG considered EPP over SMTP (whether over SOAP or 
not) to have two problems preventing it's adoption.  One was the 
store-and-forward nature of SMTP meaning there was no way a client 
could be sure the query arrived at the server in a timely manner. 
The other is the concern over the plain-text password carried - the 
security area AD's review only okayed this only because of the 
requirement of TLS/SSL.  In my once-over read of the SOAP document, 
those are the first two issues that came to mind.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.