Subject: [provreg] FW: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:20:16 +0000

Yay!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:18 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: eppext WG
Subject: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-12-02.

Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>

Charter:

The Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) was a work product of the IETF
Provisioning Registry Protocol (provreg) working group. EPP was published
as a Proposed Standard (RFCs 3730, 3731, 3732, 3733, and 3734) in March
2004. It became a Draft Standard (RFCs 4930, 4931, 4932, 4933, and 4934)
in May 2007, and a Standard (Standard 69; RFCs 5730, 5731, 5732, 5733,
and 5734) in August 2009. It is the standard domain name provisioning
protocol for generic top-level domain name registries that operate under
the auspices of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN). It is also used by a number of country code top-level domain
registries.

Domain name registries implement a variety of business models. The
difference in these models made it very difficult to come up with a "one
size fits all" provisioning protocol, so the provreg working group made a
conscious decision to focus on a minimal set of common functionality. EPP
was designed to be extensible to allow additional features to be
specified on an "as needed" basis. Guidelines for extending EPP were
published as Informational RFC 3735 in March 2004.

The provreg working group was chartered to develop EPP, but not these
additional extensions. The working group was closed in 2004 after
producing a number of Proposed Standard specifications. As registries
began to implement and deploy EPP the need for extensions became real,
and the user community found itself facing a situation in which multiple
extensions were being developed by different registries to solve the same
basic problems, such as registering additional contact information.

EPP is widely implemented by generic top-level domain name registry
operators. It is also used by multiple country-code top-level domain name
registry operators. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
Numbers (ICANN) has an active program to delegate a large number of new
generic top-level domains. EPP will be used to provision those domains,
and new registry operators are expected to develop additional protocol
extensions. With no way to coordinate the development of these
extensions, the problem of non-standard extension duplication by multiple
operators is only expected to become worse.

The goal of the EPP Extensions (eppext) working group is to create an
IANA registry of EPP extensions and to review specifications of
extensions for inclusion in the registry. It will accomplish this goal in
two steps:

1. Develop a specification for a registry of and corresponding
registration procedures for EPP extensions. One proposal is documented in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hollenbeck-epp-ext-reg/.

2. Produce a small number of extensions based on existing Internet Draft
documents and use the IANA registration process as developed in 1 to
register those extensions, as follows:

DNSSEC key relay: draft-gieben-epp-keyrelay
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gieben-epp-keyrelay/)

Internationalized domain names: draft-obispo-epp-idn
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-obispo-epp-idn/)

New TLD launch phases: draft-tan-epp-launchphase
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tan-epp-launchphase/)

Trademark Clearinghouse: draft-lozano-tmch-smd
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lozano-tmch-smd/)

Note: draft-tan-epp-launchphase has a normative dependency on
draft-lozano-tmch-smd.

Only the development of the registration process and the
publication/registration of the four extensions noted above are in scope
for the working group. The working group can choose not to publish or
register one or more of the extensions noted above, but it is out of
scope to work on other extensions.

Milestones:
  May 2014 - Extensions registry document to IESG  
  Jul 2014 - DNSSEC key relay extension to IESG
  Jul 2014 - New TLD launch phases extension to IESG
  Sep 2014 - Internationalized domain names extension to IESG

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 08:48:34 +0100

+1

On 22 nov 2013, at 18:20, Hollenbeck, Scott <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> provreg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/provreg

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:59:32 +0100 (CET)

+1

Looks like a great plan! Glad to see this moving forward!

[ Something I was proposing already 7:ish years ago, though with far less 
traction than now...the proposal appears to have matured a lot over 
time... ]

Thanks Scott et al. for taking care of this!

All the best,
  Bernie

--

http://ucom.ch/
Tech Consulting for Internet Technology

---

From: "Jiankang Yao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:44:31 +0800

Great!
it is a big step to move to a WG.
So we have a WG meeting in London meeting, March, 2014.

The goal is to have "May 2014 - Extensions registry document to IESG "

It is a little ambious.

Jiankang Yao

From: Hollenbeck, Scott
Date: 2013-11-23 01:20
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [provreg] FW: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)
Yay!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:18 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: eppext WG
Subject: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)

Assigned Area Director:

Charter:

Milestones:

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:25:15 +0000

Don't be surprised if there is no meeting scheduled for London. Meetings are used to sort out challenging issues in real time. If there are no challenging issues, there will be no meeting - and creation of a registry frankly should not be that challenging.
On the milestone: we already have one document that describes a proposal for the registry. The WG will have to decide to accept it or not, but IMHO there aren't too many ways to do this and the existing document can be changed to address any deficiencies. It really shouldn't take all that long!
This comment* from Barry Leiba of the IESG provides an interesting counter to the comment made below: "Only comment: the proposed milestone for the registry doc seems sadly pessimistic.  Why should the registry take so long to define?".
Scott

* https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-eppext/ballot/

From: Jiankang Yao [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:45 PM
To: Hollenbeck, Scott; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [provreg] FW: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)

Great!

It is a little ambious.

________________________________
Jiankang Yao

From: Hollenbeck, Scott<mailto:[email-masked]>
Date: 2013-11-23 01:20
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: [provreg] FW: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)
Yay!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 12:18 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: eppext WG
Subject: WG Review: Extensible Provisioning Protocol Extensions (eppext)

Assigned Area Director:
  Pete Resnick <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Charter:

Milestones:

_______________________________________________
provreg mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/provreg