Subject: PWE3 and Congestion

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:09:49 +0100

One of the PWE3 work areas that has gained scant attention is
congestion. The particular concern of IESG is that PW traffic
that transits the Internet should not behave badly WRT TCP
traffic.

There is some text in the arch draft, but this is really only
a place holder for more considered work.

One solution that has been mooted is to require a migration
of PWE3 to DCCP, however I would imagine that the WG would
prefer to find a solution that allows us to maintain our
current investment in encapsulation technologies.

At the last IETF I picked up an action to make the PWE3 WG
aware that this was an area that needed greater attention and
to encourage a design team to form to work on this.

If anyone is interested in working an a congestion solution
for PWE3, please contact Danny and myself. Better still
if anyone has any technical proposals, then please can they
submit them to the WG.

Stewart