Subject: Re: Suggestion for a minor modification in draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-06.txt

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:14:12 -0600

Sumit wrote:

> Hello All,   I want to suggest rephrasing two sentences in 
> draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-06.txt:   Section 4.3. Ethernet VLAN: 
>   "The Ethernet frame will be encapsulated according to the procedures 
> in [11] tagged mode...... "    The above sentence seems to indicate 
> that the encapsulation procedure can only be "tagged mode" while 
> emulating Ethernet VLAN, which is not true, as even the "raw mode" can 
> be used. The above sentence should be rephrased to the following to 
> remove the possibility of confusion.    "The Ethernet frame will be 
> encapsulated according to the procedures in [11], either in "tagged 
> mode" or in the "raw mode""   Similarly, 

In section 4.3 we refer to PW type "0x0004   Ethernet Tagged Mode" which 
means only tagged mode encapsulation is allowed.

I believe that perhaps we need to change the section heading from 
"Ethernet VLAN" to "Ethernet Tagged Mode"

Would this make it easier to understand ?

> Section 4.4. Ethernet:
>
> "The Ethernet frame will be encapsulated according to the procedures 
> in [11] "ethernet raw mode"..... "
>
> The above sentence can be rephrased to the following:   "The Ethernet 
> frame will be encapsulated according to the procedures in [11]"   The 
> above two sections should not require the use of tagged or raw mode 
> for one or another Ethernet service being emulated. This might hamper 
> clear understanding of the encapsulation procedures.   Please correct 
> me if I am wrong.    Regards Sumit   

in section 4.4 we refer to pw type "0x0005   Ethernet" which is only raw 
mode. ( may or may not contain a tag , but in any case service 
delimiting tags are not sent over the PW. )

Luca

---

From: Sumit Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:38:12 +0530

Luca,

Thanks for the reply. Please see my comment inline.

Regards,
Sumit
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Luca Martini" <[email-masked]>
To: "Sumit" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PWE3] Suggestion for a minor modification in
draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-06.txt

> Would this make it easier to understand ?

This would definitely add to clarity. Actually confusion arises because of
the heading of Section 4: "Details Specific to Particular Emulated
Services", whereas, what is being discussed in the sub-sections is details
specific to different Pseudowire types. That's why one gets this idea of
Ethernet VLAN service emulation requiring only tagged mode and Ethernet
service emulation requiring only raw mode, on reading sub-sections 4.3 &
4.4. May be you could consider renaming Section 4 to "Details Specific to
Different Pseudowire Types".