Subject: References in draft-ietf-pwe3-cesopsn-01.txt and draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-01.txt

From: "Torben Rasmussen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:48:46 +0200

draft-ietf-pwe3-cesopsn-01.txt and draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-01.txt.

Both papers is referring to a sub clause 5.4.4 with the reference
[PWE3-ARCH] there is something wrong the see figure 3 in both documents. 

In draft-ietf-pwe3-cesopsn-01.txt it makes reference to
draft-ietf-pwe3-arch-06.txt there is no sub clause 5.4.4 in the new
draft-ietf-pwe3-arch-07.txt version. 

For draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-01.txt it refers to
draft-ietf-pwe3-framework-06.txt here the document do not exist, in the old
version of satop-00.txt it makes reference to draft-ietf-pwe3-arch-06.txt
and ones again the new document do not contain this sub clause.

Anyone that is able to explain this and give a hint where to find the
information about the first four bits of the control word?

Thanks

Torben Rasmussen

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:01:43 -0600

On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:48 AM, Torben Rasmussen wrote:
> Anyone that is able to explain this and give a hint where to
> find the information about the first four bits of the control word?

5.4.4 of the Architecture draft did provide some information on
this.  It was pulled, however, per IESG and some general WG
concerns regarding it's fit in the document.  A separate draft
should be published RSN in the PWE3 WG regarding "the
first four bits of the PWE3 control word".

In conjunction, the MPLS WG has added the following work item:

NOV 04     Produce a BCP for MPLS load sharing

One version of the old 5.4.4 text is included below for
informational purposes only.  You should be able to find a
good deal of information regarding this topic in the mailing
list archives.

HTH,

-danny

[snip]

5.4.4. MPLS Payload Identifier

    If technical considerations result in a PW control word that may
    alias an IP packet, the control word SHOULD be preceeded by an MPLS
    payload type identifier.

    The MPLS payload type is defined as follows:

         0                   1                   2                   3
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
        |0 0 0 1| reserved = 0  |  PA   |          Protocol ID          |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
        |           As defined by PPP DLL protocol definition           |
        |                                                               |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

        Figure 14: MPLS Payload Type Identifier

        PA    protocol authority for the user plane or the control plane
              protocol ID
                             0       = PPP DLL
                             1-15    = Reserved

        Protocol ID
              Protocol ID following the format defined by the protocol
              authority identified in PA.

    Bits 4 to 11 inclusive are reserved for future use and must be zero.