Subject: [PWE3] RFC 6391 on Flow-Aware Transport of Pseudowires over an MPLS Packet Switched Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6391

        Title:      Flow-Aware Transport of Pseudowires over 
                    an MPLS Packet Switched Network 
        Author:     S. Bryant, Ed.,
                    C. Filsfils, U. Drafz,
                    V. Kompella, J. Regan,
                    S. Amante
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 43848
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pwe3-fat-pw-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6391.txt

Where the payload of a pseudowire comprises a number of distinct
flows, it can be desirable to carry those flows over the Equal Cost
Multiple Paths (ECMPs) that exist in the packet switched network.
Most forwarding engines are able to generate a hash of the MPLS label
stack and use this mechanism to balance MPLS flows over ECMPs.

This document describes a method of identifying the flows, or flow
groups, within pseudowires such that Label Switching Routers can
balance flows at a finer granularity than individual pseudowires.
The mechanism uses an additional label in the MPLS label stack. 
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC