Subject: [PWE3] Protocol Action: 'Packet Pseudowire Encapsulation over an MPLS PSN' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-packet-pw-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:37:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Packet Pseudowire Encapsulation over an MPLS PSN'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-packet-pw-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-packet-pw/

Technical Summary

   This document describes a pseudowire mechanism that is used to
   transport a packet service over an MPLS PSN is the case where the
   client LSR and the server PE are co-resident in the same equipment.
   This pseudowire mechanism may be used to carry all of the required
   layer 2 and layer 3 protocols between the pair of client LSRs.

Working Group Summary

   This draft presents a number of alternative encapsulations for a
   generic packet PW that were investigated by the authors and 
   discussed in the WG over a period of time (these are documented
   in the appendix), and reaches a conclusion about which one to
   use. However, an alternative approach was also proposed to the
   PWE3 working group by a different set of authors in a separate
   draft, and progressed over a period of a number of IETFs. A 
   consensus call was conducted by the chairs to try to reach
   agreement on how to proceed. This resulted in the Ethernet PW
   encapsulation approach, specified in this document, being
   adopted. WG consensus on the alternative approach could not
   be reached at that time. 

   Since this draft documents a new way to use an existing
   encapsulation, the draft was originally progressed as a BCP rather
   than on the standards track. However, it was subsequently noted in
   AD review that the document contains protocol definitions and
   makes IANA requests, and therefore it is now proposed on the 
   standards track.

Document Quality

   The draft uses an existing Ethernet PW type that is widely
   deployed. As well as being used for interconnecting Ethernet
   attachment circuits, there are implementations that directly 
   terminate the Ethernet PW on an IP interface (e.g., on a VRF)
   which represents a subset of the proposal in the draft. However,
   direct termination on an LSR, as shown in the draft, is not known
   to be widely implemented/deployed yet, although such as model 
   has been requested by service providers.

Personnel

   Matthew Bocci ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD