Subject: [PWE3] Moving Forward with MS-PWs

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:26:30 -0700

Folks,
After considering all the discussions on the list, as well as the
explicit feedback we collected via the questions posted a few
weeks back, we've reached some conclusions about how to
move forward.

Summary:

- The clear majority of the working group would like to see a
single solution

- A supermajority of the working group wants an LDP-based
solution; very few opposed to an LDP-based solution

- A decent amount of interest in RSVP solution for MS-PWs, but a
corresponding amount of opposition and significant concern that it
would slow LDP-based work

As such, in calling consensus, here's how Stewart and I believe the
working group would like to move forward:

- Continue developing requirements and architecture for MS PWs

- Develop applicability statement addressing how LDP satisfies the
requirements set forth for MS-PWs

- Move forward with LDP-based MS-PW specification development

- RSVP work for MS PWs will be put on the back burner until LDP
work is complete

Some members of the working group expressed uncertainty as to
whether LDP would be the best solution to all MS-PW applications.
We ask that these folks draw a clear applicability statement
describing the problems that RSVP addresses that are not
reasonably addressed by an LDP-based solution.  We also ask that
these folks contribute to the MS-PW requirements and architecture
development phase of MS-PWs.

Once the LDP work is well underway, we will revisit the issue to
determine if:

a) RSVP has demonstrated a clear area of unique applicability
b) The working group has addressed the outstanding technical concerns
c) Whether an RSVP approach should still be developed within the WG

We thank everyone for there feedback into this process.

-danny & Stewart

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3