Subject: Collecting measurements with Multipath QUIC

From: Quentin De Coninck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:05:32 +0000

Hello,

During today's discussions, we heard several times questions on 
Multipath QUIC and even more mentions on the benefits of having 
measurement data before taking decisions. Multipath QUIC will be 
discussed later this year within the IETF, but in the mean time we have 
already proposed a first design (recently updated, see 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-deconinck-quic-multipath/) and 
even more written an implementation of Multipath QUIC which allows to 
collect data in a variety of networks. Experience with Multipath TCP 
shows that the performance of a multipath transport depends on a variety 
of algorithms such as path management and packet scheduling that 
interact together.

During the MPTCP working group this afternoon, I will briefly present an 
iOS application that includes our Multipath QUIC implementation. It 
allows collecting different types of measurements. As it runs on iOS, we 
can also compare Multipath QUIC and Multipath TCP together. If you have 
an iPhone, I encourage you to install the MultipathTester application 
below and run it in different networks and notably outside the ietf WiFi.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multipathtester/id1351286809

We have already confirmed experimentally the importance of validating 
addresses in QUIC through a firewall that blocks UDP port 443 in one 
direction (see 
https://multipath-quic.org/2018/03/15/firewall-address-validation.html). 
We'll probably find other strange results thanks to your measurements, 
we will update our findings on https://www.multipath-quic.org

Best regards,

Quentin De Coninck