Subject: Working Group Last Call: QUIC Invariants

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 13:41:38 +0000

In London, we continued discussion of the Invariants document, and confirmed the plan to issue a WGLC on it now, with the understanding that after WGLC closes we will "park" the document until the rest of the document set is ready for publication.

The purpose of doing so is to give a high level of confidence that the invariants will not change, while leaving the possibility of changes open if we find *strong* reasons to do so -- i.e., the bar for introducing changes to the Invariants will be much higher after WGLC.

Please have a look at the document and raise any issues on the issues list or on this e-mail list:
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-invariants-01

WGLC will end on 11 April 2018.

Regards,

Mark and Lars, WG Chairs

---

From: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 07:16:03 -0700

I just added two related issues (I mentioned this on list earlier, but got
no reply)

One proposing to reserve space for future public signatures - this is to
provide early defence against man-on-the-side once public crypto gets
faster and cheaper.

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1246

And a more general proposal that adds a version count field which would
also allow for public signatures, or other extensions later on.
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1247

Kind Regards,
Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen

On 21 March 2018 at 14.41.52, Mark Nottingham ([email-masked]) wrote:

In London, we continued discussion of the Invariants document, and
confirmed the plan to issue a WGLC on it now, with the understanding that
after WGLC closes we will "park" the document until the rest of the
document set is ready for publication.

The purpose of doing so is to give a high level of confidence that the
invariants will not change, while leaving the possibility of changes open
if we find *strong* reasons to do so -- i.e., the bar for introducing
changes to the Invariants will be much higher after WGLC.

Please have a look at the document and raise any issues on the issues list
or on this e-mail list:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-invariants-01

Regards,

Mark and Lars, WG Chairs