Subject: What the heck is 'greasing", you ask?

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:17:55 +0000

In the spirit of working groups making informed decisions, there were a
couple of references to "greasing" that came up during hums this week.

A couple of IETF meetings ago, the IAB Stack Evolution was talking about
greasing, and I asked if there was a canonical reference for greasing that
we could point people to, and Martin Thomson said there was not.

So Martin wrote one.

It's https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-thomson-use-it-or-lose-it/.

Martin tells me that's the high level description, and TLS has a draft that
is a more specific application.

If you're going to hum in any working group where someone asks "and that
bit will be greased, right?", you may want to look at Martin's draft.

Since more than half the Stack Evolution program membership is in QUIC,
they may decide it would be helpful to advance Martin's draft, but that's
not my decision to make ...

Spencer, who has gone back to speaking as a calmer individual in QUIC.

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:12:28 +0000

*   So Martin wrote one.

It appears that Martin might have missed a calling in academia.