Subject: Submission of WebTransport API to WICG (and refactoring of the WebRTC-QUIC API)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:56:21 -0700

Feedback on the WebRTC-QUIC P2P API has come from developers who are
primarily interested in client/server use cases rather than peer-to-peer
use cases involving WebRTC.  For those developers, it is desirable to avoid
dependencies on ICE.

As a result, a specification focusing on client/server use cases has been
created.  Since this specification supports a wider range of client/server
use cases it has been renamed the  "WebTransport API" and has been submitted
to W3C WICG <https://discourse.wicg.io/t/webtransport-proposal/3508>.

The WebTransport explainer is here
<https://github.com/pthatcherg/web-transport/blob/master/explainer.md> and
the WebTransport API specification is here
<https://pthatcherg.github.io/web-transport/>.

In order to avoid duplicating the content in the WebTransport API, the
WebRTC-QUIC P2P API has been reworked to reference objects defined in the
WebTransport API instead <https://w3c.github.io/webrtc-quic/>.   Note that
there are still a few dangling references left
<https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-quic/issues/127> that should be fixed soon
<https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-quic/pull/128>.

Since much of the material in the former WebRTC-QUIC API now resides in the
WebTransport API document, people interested in the evolution of the API
would be advised to monitor discussion in the W3C WICG where it is expected
that discussion of client/server aspects will take place.

The W3C ORTC CG will focus on P2P aspects requiring a dependency on ICE,
which are defined here <https://w3c.github.io/webrtc-quic/>.