Subject: Duplicated TPs vs duped HTTP/3 settings

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 08:21:44 -0400

Hello,

A recent GitHub discussion [1] reminded me that duplicated transport
parameters MUST be treated as error [2].  This is in contrast to
duplicated HTTP/3 settings, which MAY be treated as an error.

Why the inconsistency?

The checks for duplicated transport (or settings) parameters are
expensive, because one has to maintain an arbitrarily-sized set
of possibly large numbers.

I propose we switch the duplicate TP parameters enforcement to
"MAY treat as error."

  - Dmitri.

1. https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2663
2. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-transport-20#section-7.3

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 18:39:13 -0700

Hi Dmitri,

Your proposal sounds quite reasonable. Can you open an issue for it? This
will be a design issue that will need consensus.

- jana

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 10:42:26 -0400

Done:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2689

Thank you,

  - Dmitri.