Subject: Output of the discard keys design team

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 14:25:30 -0700

Hi everyone,

The discard keys design team has reached consensus on how to move forward
with discarding keys, and has produced a PR to modify the spec:

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2673

In a nutshell, we leverage acknowledgments as an explicit signal that
indicates that an endpoint is in a given state, and use that to allow the
peer to make progress. We believe that this PR prevents the potential
deadlocks discussed in issues #2214 and #2267.

Please let us know your thoughts in response to this email.

Thanks,
David

---

From: Ian Swett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 06:25:51 -0400

Thank you for working through this with members of the design team and for
writing this up so nicely.  The PR looks great.

*From: *David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
*Date: *Tue, May 7, 2019 at 5:25 PM
*To: *QUIC

Hi everyone,

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 22:24:25 -0400

Yeah, I have to second Ian's praise here.  This looks easy, but David has done a good job here.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, at 20:26, Ian Swett wrote:
> Thank you for working through this with members of the design team and 
> for writing this up so nicely. The PR looks great.
> 
> > The discard keys design team has reached consensus on how to move forward with discarding keys, and has produced a PR to modify the spec:
> > 
> > In a nutshell, we leverage acknowledgments as an explicit signal that indicates that an endpoint is in a given state, and use that to allow the peer to make progress. We believe that this PR prevents the potential deadlocks discussed in issues #2214 and #2267.
> >

---

From: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 08:41:38 +0200

Yes, the distinction between Handshake Complete and Handshake Confirmed is
important.

On 11 May 2019 at 04.24.43, Martin Thomson ([email-masked]) wrote:

Yeah, I have to second Ian's praise here. This looks easy, but David has
done a good job here.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, at 20:26, Ian Swett wrote:
> > The discard keys design team has reached consensus on how to move