Subject: An update on qlog

From: Robin MARX <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:24:25 +0200

Hello everyone,

In the run-up to Singapore, I wanted to give an update on the structure
logging format for QUIC that we've been working on, called qlog.

The draft-01 version was released last week and can be found at:
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marx-qlog-main-schema-01
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marx-qlog-event-definitions-quic-h3-01

Between draft-00 and draft-01, over half of the currently active QUIC
implementations support some form of qlog, with for example Facebook
reporting billions of logged events in production each day. For those on
-00 that want to move to -01, I have created a short guide at
https://github.com/quiclog/internet-drafts/blob/master/implementers/transition-00-to-01.md
.

The main reason for supporting qlog, at least at the moment, is the ability
to create and use tools like the ones available at
https://qvis.edm.uhasselt.be. As simulation and testing frameworks such as
https://github.com/marten-seemann/quic-network-simulator/ mature, we expect
these tools to become invaluable for in-depth debugging, as well as for
easy sharing of test results.

Both the format and the tools are in a good initial stage, but I would like
to get some input from the wg going forward. For example:

- Feedback on the qlog schema and format itself (missing events,
interesting new features, encountered practical issues, ...)
- Opinions on security and privacy aspects of the qlog files (mentioned
several times during tsvarea Q&A's but rarely followed up afterwards)
- Opinions on practically exposing the logs (we currently propose a
.well-known URI)

- Feedback on the current tools (usability, performance, missing features,
...)
- Requests for new tools / debugging use cases (which tools should be
prioritized first?)

- Opinions on potential wg adoption (part of v1? part of v2? no adoption /
just remain as de-facto "standard"?)

Getting some of this feedback now will help me to tackle the main issues by
Singapore.
I will also be present there for the full week, including the Hackaton, to
gather feedback and help people resolve issues.

Feedback is welcome here, via the quicdev slack group (channel #qlog) or
via our github repositories.

With best regards,
Robin

-- 

Robin Marx
PhD researcher - web performance
Expertise centre for Digital Media

T +32(0)11 26 84 79 - GSM +32(0)497 72 86 94

www.uhasselt.be
Universiteit Hasselt - Campus Diepenbeek
Agoralaan Gebouw D - B-3590 Diepenbeek
Kantoor EDM-2.05