Subject: Re: Status of Issue 278

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:24:55 +0100

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> During the RADEXT WG last call on the RADIUS Extended Attributes draft,
> you filed Issue 278:
> http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/RADEXT/
>  
> The editor of the document, Glen Zorn, has now listed Issue 278 as
> resolved.  However, before
> closing this issue, we wanted to get your consent.   Please send a note
> to the RADEXT WG
> mailing list indicating whether Issue 278 is in fact resolved to your
> satisfaction,

  The latest version of the draft addresses most of my comments.  The
remaining issue that should be addressed is:

---
8.  IANA Considerations
...
   It also requires that IANA set up a new registry for the RADIUS
   Extended Attribute Types.

  I suggest leaving the first 0..255 attributes as unallocated, in order
to avoid confusion with legacy RADIUS attributes.
---

  Without this text, IANA may allocate 0..255 to the new extended-type,
potentially confusing people with conflicts between that and the
standard attribute space.

  Alan DeKok.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:42:14 -0600

> standard attribute space.

Utter and complete nonsense.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:59:57 +0100

Glen Zorn wrote:
...
> Utter and complete nonsense.

  Which doesn't address the issue.

  a) Can IANA allocate numbers 0..255 in Ext-Type?
  b) If not, why not?
  c) If so, is this a good idea?

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:33:03 -0600

>   Which doesn't address the issue.

Very astute.  You are correct, it dismisses the "issue" as nonsense.  Merely
because an "issue" is present in an "issues list" means nothing; in
particular, it doesn't mean that there is any WG consensus that the (in this
case nonexistent) problem is actually an issue.

>   a) Can IANA allocate numbers 0..255 in Ext-Type?

Addressed in the existing draft.