Subject: Virtual interim meeting?

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:03:03 -0700

A number of IETF WGs are now scheduling "virtual interim" meetings.   For
example, ECRIT scheduled such a meeting in the fall:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/ecrit/trac/wiki

We are wondering whether RADEXT WG participants would be interested in
participating in such a "virtual interim" meeting, and if so, how many of
you would potentially attend. 

Typical facilities provided through services such as DimDim
<http://www.dimdim.com/>  include audio conferencing, chat and presentation
sharing.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 10:59:21 +0200

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> participating in such a “virtual interim” meeting, and if so, how many
> of you would potentially attend.

  I would attend one, but I don't know what the topic would be.

  The main barrier now to WG progress is document review and editing.
There are a number of documents that need review, and I haven't had time
yet to review them.

  I always dislike meetings where documents are wordsmithed to death,
but this might be useful here.

  i.e. Schedule a meeting where a document is reviewed in detail.  If we
can get 3-4 participants who are *not* co-authors, that should be
sufficient to make WG progress.

  Alan DeKok.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:30:20 -0700

Alan DeKok wrote:

"  I would attend one, but I don't know what the topic would be.

  i.e. Schedule a meeting where a document is reviewed in detail.  If we
can get 3-4 participants who are *not* co-authors, that should be
sufficient to make WG progress."

Typically an interim meeting will have a narrower focus, so that detailed
review of one or more documents would be a possibility. 

The question is what documents it would be useful to review in depth. 

The first ones that come to mind are WG work items with the longest "seniority",
such as crypto-agility and extended attributes.  Both have been around a while, 
have been through WG last call, but have issues remaining. 

Suggestions welcome.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 08:32:32 -0700

In terms of virtual meeting technology, there are a number of services that provide free conferencing support. 

One that I've looked at is DimDim (  http://www.dimdim.com/ ), which is free for conferences of 20 users or less. 

Has anyone used this (or any other) equivalent service?  Any recommendations?

---

From: "David B. Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:01:36 -0400

Bernard Aboba writes...

> The first ones that come to mind are WG work items with the
> longest "seniority", such as crypto-agility and extended 
> attributes.  Both have been around a while, have been through
> WG last call, but have issues remaining.

I think an "IEEE-style" virtual interim meeting, in which we focus on
creating document editing instructions, that is to say hammering out text,
would be a useful and effective "forcing function" to get some of these
items ready for IESG submission.

It addresses the syndrome of not doing much work on drafts except in the two
weeks before an IETF meeting.

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 20:19:12 +0300

The IPSECME group is using an open source tool from the gaming community,
see  http://www.teamspeak.com/. 

I like it when folks join the conference bridge and the server announces
"Player has joined". 

It does not provide slide sharing but that's OK. It does not allow folks to
dial in via PSTN either...

Paul has downloaded the server software and installed it on his server.
Maybe you can re-use it. 

Ciao
Hannes

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] 
>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bernard Aboba
>Sent: 07 May, 2009 18:33
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Virtual meeting technology
>
>In terms of virtual meeting technology, there are a number of 
>services that provide free conferencing support. 
>
>One that I've looked at is DimDim (  http://www.dimdim.com/ ), 
>which is free for conferences of 20 users or less. 
>
>to unsubscribe send a message to 
>[email-masked] with the word 'unsubscribe' in 
>a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:37:52 -0700

It looks like Teamspeak requires installation of client software, available on Windows, MacOS X and Linux.  How do people feel about that?   In exchange for the client software install requirement, the major advantage of Teamspeak (or SIP-based VOIP, for that matter) is the ability to bypass the PSTN and associated charges. 

For example, while Freeconference (http://www.freeconference.com/)  offers free conference bridges, it does require the ability to reach the conference call #, which could be an issue for people attending from outside the U.S.

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Virtual meeting technology
> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 20:19:12 +0300
>

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:48:50 -0700