Subject: [radext] #80: Section 3

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:48:30 -0000

#80: Section 3

 This section isn't just about encryption, but the state of RADIUS security
 in general.  Suggest the following re-write:

 3.  The Current State of RADIUS Security

    RADIUS packets, as defined in [RFC2865], are protected by an MD5
    message integrity check (MIC), within the Authenticator field of
    RADIUS packets other than Access-Request.  The Message-Authenticator
    Attribute utilizes HMAC-MD5 to authenticate and integrity protect
    RADIUS packets.  Various RADIUS attributes support hidden values,
    including: User-Password, Tunnel-Password, and various Vendor-
    Specific Attributes.  Generally speaking, the hiding mechanism uses a
    stream cipher based on a key stream from an MD5 digest.

    Recent work on MD5 collisions does not immediately compromise any of
    these methods, absent knowledge of the RADIUS shared secret.
    However, the progress toward compromise of MD5's basic cryptographic
    assumptions has resulted in the deprecation of MD5 usage in a variety
    of applications.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor                      |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  Crypto-Agility             |     Version:  1.0       
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |    Keywords:            
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/80>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/>

---

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 06:10:58 -0000

#80: Section 3

Changes (by bernard_aboba@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |        Owner:            
     Type:  defect                     |       Status:  closed    
 Priority:  minor                      |    Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  Crypto-Agility             |      Version:  1.0       
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |   Resolution:  fixed     
 Keywords:                             |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/80#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>