Subject: [RADIR] Section 4.4 Acquisisions and Mergers

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:20:37 -0400

Acquisitions and mergers take place for business reasons, which
usually have little to do with the network topologies of the impacted
organizations.  When a business sells off part of itself, the assets
may include networks, attached devices, etc. A company that purchases
or merges with other organizations may quickly find that its network
assetts are numbered out of many different and unaggragatable address
blocks. Consequently, individual organizations may find themselves
unable to announce a single prefix for all of their networks without
renumbering a significant portion of its network.

Likewise, selling off part of a business may involve selling part of a
network as well, resulting in the fragementation of one address block
into two (or more) smaller blocks. Because the resultant blocks belong
to different companies, they can no longer be advertised by a single
aggregate and the resultant fragments may need to be advertised
individually into the DFZ.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
RADIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir