Subject: Re: (radius) TACACS (fwd)

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 22:44:12 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time [email-masked] shaped the electrons to say...
>What is the meaning of end of life mode?

No new development.  Generally it means development is ended, and use is
discouraged.  In time it may be removed from the products that now use it
due to being obsolete.

When a product - HW or SW - is EOL'd nothing new is added.  In some cases
there is a period of time when bug fixes and security patches ae provided
as needed, but no new features are added.  And there is a death time set
after which point NO work is done, and the product is considered totally
dead.  No support at all.

The original TACACS has been obsolete for a rather long time now, XTACACS
is out dated as well.  Cisco moved to TACACS+ a while ago as their development
focus, as have the others who support TACACS.  And, of course, RADIUS has
become nigh-universal.

-MZ
-- 
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
Join ISP/C Internet Service Providers' Consortium <URL:http://www.ispc.org/>
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 781-788-0130
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/>  <URL:http://www.gweep.net/>  Hail Discordia!
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: MegaZone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 00:06:40 -0800 (PST)

Once upon a time William "Chops" Westfield shaped the electrons to say...
>I could tell you where on cisco's web site to find this info, but then I'd
>have to wear a suit more often...

This one?  <URL:http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/417/109.html>

Also of interest in context:
<URL:http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/General/622_pp.htm>

-MZ

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:26:54 -0600 (CST)

>Tacacs_plus will, of course, be unaffected by any of this.

As much as TACACS+ is affected by anything in the RADIUS world...

-