Subject: (radius) progress of documents, or lack thereof

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:31:48 -0800

we discussed the radius documents on the iesg telechat today.

o draft-ietf-radius-ext-05.txt

  why can the server not do mtu discovery?

   Using the EAP-Message attribute, it is possible for the RADIUS server
   to encapsulate an EAP packet that is larger than the MTU on the link
   between the NAS and the peer. Since it is not possible for the RADIUS
   server to use MTU discovery to ascertain the link MTU, the Framed-MTU
   attribute may be included in an Access-Request packet containing an
   EAP-Message attribute so as to provide the RADIUS server with this
   information.

o draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-05.txt

  pending other drafts, as they're a package

o draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-acct-05.txt

  the revised draft with the agreed fixes to the security issue and the iana
  considerations was not received as it was promised that it would be.

o draft-ietf-radius-accounting-v2-02.txt

  can not progress without draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-auth

the iesg's next telechat is 00.01.13.  could we please have
  o answer to mtu discovery question on draft-ietf-radius-ext-05.txt
  o draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-05.txt security and iana revisions
sufficiently beforehand so i can get them on the agenda?

thank you.

randy
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 13:07:52 -0800

>  why can the server not do mtu discovery?

Because RADIUS is only spoken between the RADIUS client and server,
not between the RADIUS server and the PPP peer. The issue here is
not the MTU between the RADIUS client and server but the MTU between
the peer and the NAS. Even if the RADIUS server does MTU discovery
to the RADIUS client, the resulting MTU could still be larger than
can be handled between the PPP peer and the NAS. Since the PPP peer
is not authenticated yet, and therefore does not have IP connectivity,
it is not possible to do MTU discovery between the RADIUS server and 
the PPP peer in any case.

>  o draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-05.txt security and iana revisions

Are you sure you are referring to the -imp and not the -auth draft?

-