Subject: [Rats] ETSI Specification group on Securing Artificial Intelligence

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 14:22:17 -0400

{via a circuitous path, this came to me.  There have been use cases proposed
for TEEP and RATS that relate to protecting Machine Learning algorithms.
I'm wondering if there are any liasons to this ETSI ISG which might want to
more clearly articulate the RAGTS use case}

----

ETSI announce the creation of a new Industry Specification Group on 
Securing Artificial Intelligence (ISG SAI). The group will develop 
technical specifications to mitigate threats arising from the deployment 
of AI throughout multiple ICT-related industries. This includes threats 
to artificial intelligence systems from both conventional sources and 
other AIs.

The ETSI Securing Artificial Intelligence group was initiated to 
anticipate that autonomous mechanical and computing entities may make 
decisions that act against the relying parties either by design or as a 
result of malicious intent. The conventional cycle of networks risk 
analysis and countermeasure deployment represented by the 
Identify-Protect-Detect-Respond cycle needs to be re-assessed when an 
autonomous machine is involved.

The intent of the ISG SAI is therefore to address 3 aspects of 
artificial intelligence in the standards domain:

  *      Securing AI from attack e.g. where AI is a component in the
    system that needs defending
  *      Mitigating against AI e.g. where AI is the ‘problem’ or is used
    to improve and enhance other more conventional attack vectors
  *      Using AI to enhance security measures against attack from other
    things e.g. AI is part of the ‘solution’ or is used to improve and
    enhance more conventional countermeasures.

The purpose of the ETSI ISG SAI is to develop the technical knowledge 
that acts as a baseline in ensuring that artificial intelligence is 
secure. Stakeholders impacted by the activity of ETSI’s group include 
end users, manufacturers, operators and governments.

Three main activities will be undertaken and confirmed during the first 
meeting of the group.
1) *AI Threat Ontology *Currently, there is no common understanding of what 
constitutes an attack on AI and how it might be created, hosted and 
propagated. The work to be undertaken here will seek to define what 
would be considered an AI threat and how it might differ from threats to 
traditional systems.

Hence, the AI Threat Ontology specification seeks to align terminology 
across the different stakeholders and multiple industries. ETSI 
specifications will define what is meant by these terms in the context 
of cyber and physical security and with a narrative that should be 
readily accessible to all. This threat ontology will address AI as 
system, attacker and defence.

2) *Securing AI Problem Statement *This specification will be modelled on 
the ETSI GS NFV-SEC 001 “Security Problem Statement” which has been 
highly influential in guiding the scope of ETSI NFV and enabling 
“security by design” for NFV infrastructures. It will define and 
prioritize potential AI threats along with recommended actions. The 
recommendations contained in this specification will be used to define 
the scope and timescales for the follow-up work.

3) *Data Supply Chain Report *Data is a critical component in the 
development of AI systems, both raw data, and information and feedback 
From other AI systems and humans in the loop. However, access to 
suitable data is often limited, causing a need to resort to less 
suitable sources of data. Compromising the integrity of data has been 
demonstrated to be a viable attack vector against an AI system.

This report will summarize the methods currently used to source data for 
training AI, along with a review of existing initiatives for developing 
data sharing protocols and analyse requirements for standards for 
ensuring integrity in the shared data, information and feedback, as well 
as the confidentiality of these.
The founding members of the new ETSI group include BT, Cadzow 
Communications, Huawei Technologies, NCSC and Telefónica.
The first meeting of ISG SAI will be held in Sophia Antipolis on 23 
October. Come and join to shape the future path for secure artificial 
intelligence!

*Contact
*Claire Boyer
Mob: +33 (0)6 87 60 84 40

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	[ISG_SAI] Press release: ETSI launches specification group on 
Securing Artificial Intelligence
Datum: 	Wed, 2 Oct 2019 08:47:01 +0000
Von: 	Sonia Compans <[email-masked]>
Antwort an: 	ISG_SAI Securing Artificial Intelligence 
<[email-masked]>
An: 	[email-masked]

Dear SAI,

We launched the press release announcing the ISG creation.

Do not hesitate to forward

https://www.etsi.org/newsroom/press-releases/1650-2019-10-etsi-launches-specification-group-on-securing-artificial-intelligence

Sonia

*Sonia Compans****–*Technical Officer

*ETSI*● www.etsi.org <http://www.etsi.org/> ●[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>_

Phone: +33 (0)4 92 94 43 36 ●Mobile: +33 (0)6 67 15 58 49

Watch the new ETSI video _Cybersecurity: join the players 
<https://youtu.be/H7pTWOVX0dg>_

** <https://youtu.be/H7pTWOVX0dg>**

This email may contain confidential information and is intended for the 
use of the addressee only. Any unauthorized use may be unlawful. If you 
receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by 
using the reply facility in your email software. Thank you for your 
co-operation.**

---

From: "Diego R. Lopez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 06:29:38 +0000

Hi,

I have been somehow involved in the shaping of both SAI and RATS, and happy to be of any help if required...

Be goode,

--
"Esta vez no fallaremos, Doctor Infierno"

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr2lopez/

e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel:         +34 913 129 041
Mobile:  +34 682 051 091
----------------------------------

On 03/10/2019, 20:21, "RATS on behalf of Michael Richardson" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    ----

    *Contact
    *Claire Boyer

    -------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------
    Betreff: [ISG_SAI] Press release: ETSI launches specification group on
    Securing Artificial Intelligence
    Datum: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 08:47:01 +0000
    Von: Sonia Compans <[email-masked]>
    Antwort an: ISG_SAI Securing Artificial Intelligence
    <[email-masked]>
    An: [email-masked]

    Dear SAI,

    Sonia

________________________________

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição