Subject: [rddp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:51:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Remote Direct Data Placement Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Applicability of Remote Direct Memory Access Protocol 
                          (RDMA)and Direct Data Placement (DDP)
	Author(s)	: C. Bestler, L. Coene
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2003-6-12
	
This document describes the applicability of Remote Direct Memory
Access Protocol (RDMAP)  and the Direct Data Placement Protocol
(DDP).  It contrasts the different transport options over IP that DDP
can use, compares use of DDP with direct use of the supporting
transports, and compares DDP over IP transports with non-IP
transports that support RDMA functionality.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rddp-applicability-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Caitlin Bestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:01:36 -0500

I'd like to provide a quick summary of the changes.

There are numerous scattered language clarifications that
do not represent new content, but should express the
original intent more clearly.

An additional author, Lode Coene, who can be credited with
most of the above clarifications.

Some more specific substantive changes of note:

- RDMAP and DDP are treated more distinctly, clarifying
  the role of each in providig services to the ULP.
  
- A discussion of ULPs that could actually be hurt by
  RDMAPs consolidation of completion notifications.
  
- Added comparison with "parse and place" where the
  network stack is aware of the ULP protocol.
  
- Added discussion on header overhead in comparing
  transports.
  
- Added discussion on data integrity, and that it is
  NOT something that requires the ULP to be LLP aware.
  
- Added discussion of security implications of having
  multiple STags enabled for a given connection.
  
- Discussed the inherent link between RDMAP and reliable
  transports.
  
- Pointed out that both TCP and SCTP mappings allow
  existing connection/association establishment procedures
  to be followed for security purposes.

Caitlin Bestler
http://asomi.com/CaitlinBestler/
_______________________________________________
rddp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rddp