Subject: [rddp] STORM WG - draft charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:03:48 -0400

I promised a draft charter before the BOF, so here it is.
This should look very familiar as it's based on the BOF
proposal that has been out for a while.  The FCIP item
below (may be possible to return an IP Protocol Number
to IANA) is new.

If the recommendation of the BOF is to form a Working Group,
the revised charter (with work items and milestones) will be
published to these lists for further review and comment before
the actual WG request goes to the IESG.

Proposed Working Group: STORM (STORage Maintenance)
	Transport (TSV) Area
Proposed Charter (First Draft) - March 23, 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------

The IETF ips (IP Storage) and rddp (Remote Direct Data Placement)
working groups have produced a significant number of storage
protocols (e.g., iSCSI, iSER, FCIP and iFCP) for which there is
significant usage.  The time has come to reflect feedback from
implementation and usage into updated RFCs; this work may include:

- Implementation-driven revisions and updates to existing protocols
	(i.e., updated RFCs that match the "running code").
- Interoperability reports as needed for the resulting revised
	protocols that are appropriate for Draft Standard RFC status.
- Minor protocol changes or additions.  Backwards compatibility
	is required.

Significant changes to the existing protocol standards are out of
scope, including any work on version 2 of any of these protocols.
Stability is critical to the usage of these protocols, so backwards
compatibility with existing implementations will be a requirement
imposed on for all protocol changes and additions.  Note that this
is a requirement for implementation compatibility - if it is the
case that all implementations of a protocol have done something
different than what the RFC specifies, it is appropriate for
a new RFC to document what the "running code" actually does and
deprecate the unused original behavior.

Initial draft list of work items (subject to change at the BOF):
- iSCSI: Combine RFCs 3720 (iSCSI), 3980 (NAA names), 4850 (node
	architecture key) and 5048 (corrections/clarifications) into
	one draft, removing features that are not implemented in
	practice (e.g., markers).
- iSCSI: Interoperability report on what has been implemented and
	is known to interoperate in support of Draft Standard RFC
	status for the new iSCSI RFC.  The decision about whether to
	target Draft Standard RFC status will be discussed in the BOF
	in San Francisco - this may entail updates to RFC 3722
	[stringprep for iSCSI] and RFC 3723 [security].  
- iSCSI: Add features to support SAM-4 (4th version of the SCSI
	architecture) in a backwards-compatible fashion, as iSCSI is
	currently based on SAM-2.  This will be a separate draft
	from the iSCSI update in the first bullet.
- FCIP: IP Protocol number 133 was allocated to a precursor of
	the FCIP protocol in 2000, but this allocated number is not
	used by FCIP.  It may be possible to return this IP Protocol
	number to IANA for future reallocation.
- iFCP: The Address Translation mode of iFCP needs to be deprecated
	(SHOULD NOT implement or use), as there are significant
	technical problems with its specification, and moreover,
	only the Address Transparent mode of iFCP is in use.  It
	is intended to do this with a short document that updates
	RFC 4172 (i.e., not via a complete rewrite of RFC 4172).
- RDDP MPA: Good support for MPI applications requires a small
	update to the startup functionality to allow either end
	of the connection to initiate.
- iSER: Make a few minor updates based on experience with InfiniBand
	and other implementations to reflect what has been done in
	practice.

Actual Goals and Milestones will be determined at the BOF.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:27:55 -0400

It's a "just in case" placeholder.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Koning [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:10 PM
> To: Black, David
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Ips] STORM WG - draft charter
> 
> Question...
> 
> The second bullet says, among other things: "this may entail updates
> to RFC 3722 [stringprep for iSCSI] and RFC 3723 [security]."
> 
> Are there any specific potential changes known, or is this just a
> "just in case" placeholder?
> 
>       paul
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:09:38 -0400

Question...

      paul