Subject: [re-ECN] Viability issue #3

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:07:20 -0500

[This attempts to outline an issue that could be perceived as 
challenging the viability of congestion exposure work.  The goal is to 
capture the issue, as well as itemize reasonable supporting arguments 
(for viability) and remaining questions to be addressed.  Please respond 
with suggestions as needed for each section.  ]

Viability Issue #3

Does this scale to the whole Internet?

Suggested:

1/ Discussions of working with ECN-enabled and non-ECN enabled routers 
begins to address this.

Questions:

2/ Are there any issues with scale (processing, state) in core routers?

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:50:53 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Leslie Daigle
> Sent: 05 November 2009 06:07
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [re-ECN] Viability issue #3
> 
> 

Yes... It just may not give the same degree of accuracy everywhere

> 1/ Discussions of working with ECN-enabled and non-ECN enabled routers

WE will need to do a proper survey of ECN-readiness. Arguably responding
to drop coming from a RED queue should give very similar results, it
just doesn't allow intermediate nodes to work out the downstream
congestion (and we need to set out the full implications of that)

> 2/ Are there any issues with scale (processing, state) in core
routers?

I hope not as in general it is only border devices that are expected to
change in response to this (aside from any issues of ECN-capability).

> _______________________________________________
> re-ECN mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/re-ecn