Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8012 on Label Switched Path (LSP) and Pseudowire (PW) Ping/Trace over MPLS Networks Using Entropy Labels (ELs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 09:19:55 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8012

        Title:      Label Switched Path (LSP) and 
                    Pseudowire (PW) Ping/Trace over MPLS Networks 
                    Using Entropy Labels (ELs) 
        Author:     N. Akiya, G. Swallow,
                    C. Pignataro, A. Malis,
                    S. Aldrin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 49577
        Updates:    RFC 6790

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-lsp-ping-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8012

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC8012

Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Path (LSP) ping
and traceroute are methods used to test Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP)
paths.  Ping is known as a connectivity-verification method and
traceroute is known as a fault-isolation method, as described in RFC
4379.  When an LSP is signaled using the Entropy Label (EL) described
in RFC 6790, the ability for LSP ping and traceroute operations to
discover and exercise ECMP paths is lost for scenarios where Label
Switching Routers (LSRs) apply different load-balancing techniques.
One such scenario is when some LSRs apply EL-based load balancing
while other LSRs apply load balancing that is not EL based (e.g., IP).
Another scenario is when an EL-based LSP is stitched with another LSP
that can be EL based or not EL based.

This document extends the MPLS LSP ping and traceroute multipath
mechanisms in RFC 6424 to allow the ability of exercising LSPs that
make use of the EL.  This document updates RFC 6790.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org