Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8020 on NXDOMAIN: There Really Is Nothing Underneath

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 12:54:41 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8020

        Title:      NXDOMAIN: There Really Is Nothing 
                    Underneath 
        Author:     S. Bortzmeyer, S. Huque
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22301
        Updates:    RFC 1034, RFC 2308

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8020

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC8020

This document states clearly that when a DNS resolver receives a
response with a response code of NXDOMAIN, it means that the domain
name which is thus denied AND ALL THE NAMES UNDER IT do not exist.

This document clarifies RFC 1034 and modifies a portion of RFC 2308:
it updates both of them.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org