Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8296 on Encapsulation for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) in MPLS and Non-MPLS Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:53:08 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8296

        Title:      Encapsulation for Bit Index Explicit 
                    Replication (BIER) in MPLS and Non-MPLS 
                    Networks 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, Ed.,
                    E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    A. Dolganow, 
                    J. Tantsura,
                    S. Aldrin,
                    I. Meilik
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 47866
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bier-mpls-encapsulation-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8296

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8296

Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that
provides optimal multicast forwarding through a "multicast domain",
without requiring intermediate routers to maintain any per-flow state
or to engage in an explicit tree-building protocol.  When a multicast
data packet enters the domain, the ingress router determines the set
of egress routers to which the packet needs to be sent.  The ingress
router then encapsulates the packet in a BIER header.  The BIER
header contains a bit string in which each bit represents exactly one
egress router in the domain; to forward the packet to a given set of
egress routers, the bits corresponding to those routers are set in
the BIER header.  The details of the encapsulation depend on the type
of network used to realize the multicast domain.  This document
specifies a BIER encapsulation that can be used in an MPLS network
or, with slight differences, in a non-MPLS network.

This document is a product of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org