Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8302 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): ARP and Neighbor Discovery (ND) Optimization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:02:23 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8302

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): ARP and Neighbor Discovery 
                    (ND) Optimization 
        Author:     Y. Li, 
                    D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    L. Dunbar,
                    R. Perlman,
                    M. Umair
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41883
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-arp-optimization-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8302

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8302

This document describes mechanisms to optimize the Address Resolution
Protocol (ARP) and Neighbor Discovery (ND) traffic in a Transparent
Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL) campus.  TRILL switches
maintain a cache of IP / Media Access Control (MAC) address / Data
Label bindings that are learned from ARP/ND requests and responses
that pass through them.  In many cases, this cache allows an edge
Routing Bridge (RBridge) to avoid flooding an ARP/ND request by
either responding to it directly or encapsulating it and unicasting
it.  Such optimization reduces packet flooding over a TRILL campus.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org