Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8324 on DNS Privacy, Authorization, Special Uses, Encoding, Characters, Matching, and Root Structure: Time for Another Look?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 16:48:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8324

        Title:      DNS Privacy, Authorization, Special Uses, 
                    Encoding, Characters, Matching, and Root Structure: 
                    Time for Another Look? 
        Author:     J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       February 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 75196
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-dns-function-considerations-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8324

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8324

The basic design of the Domain Name System was completed almost 30
years ago.  The last half of that period has been characterized by
significant changes in requirements and expectations, some of which
either require changes to how the DNS is used or can be accommodated
only poorly or not at all.  This document asks the question of
whether it is time to either redesign and replace the DNS to match
contemporary requirements and expectations (rather than continuing to
try to design and implement incremental patches that are not fully
satisfactory) or draw some clear lines about functionality that is
not really needed or that should be performed in some other way.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org