Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8373 on Negotiating Human Language in Real-Time Communications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 16:50:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8373

        Title:      Negotiating Human Language in Real-Time 
                    Communications 
        Author:     R. Gellens
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27727
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-24.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8373

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8373

Users have various human (i.e., natural) language needs, abilities,
and preferences regarding spoken, written, and signed languages.
This document defines new Session Description Protocol (SDP) media-
level attributes so that when establishing interactive communication
sessions ("calls"), it is possible to negotiate (i.e., communicate
and match) the caller's language and media needs with the
capabilities of the called party.  This is especially important for
emergency calls, because it allows for a call to be handled by a call
taker capable of communicating with the user or for a translator or
relay operator to be bridged into the call during setup.  However,
this also applies to non-emergency calls (for example, calls to a
company call center).

This document describes the need as well as a solution that uses new
SDP media attributes.

This document is a product of the Selection of Language for Internet Media Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org