Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8394 on Split Network Virtualization Edge (Split-NVE) Control-Plane Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8394

        Title:      Split Network Virtualization Edge (Split-NVE) 
                    Control-Plane Requirements 
        Author:     Y. Li, 
                    D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    L. Kreeger,
                    T. Narten,
                    D. Black
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 63300
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8394

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8394

In the Split Network Virtualization Edge (Split-NVE) architecture,
the functions of the NVE are split across a server and a piece of
external network equipment that is called an "External NVE".  The
server-resident control-plane functionality resides in control
software, which may be part of hypervisor or container-management
software; for simplicity, this document refers to the hypervisor as
the "location" of this software.

One or more control-plane protocols between a hypervisor and its
associated External NVE(s) are used by the hypervisor to distribute
its virtual-machine networking state to the External NVE(s) for
further handling.  This document illustrates the functionality
required by this type of control-plane signaling protocol and
outlines the high-level requirements.  Virtual-machine states as well
as state transitioning are summarized to help clarify the protocol
requirements.

This document is a product of the Network Virtualization Overlays Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org