Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8393 on Operating the Network Service Header (NSH) with Next Protocol "None"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 15:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8393

        Title:      Operating the Network Service Header (NSH)
                    with Next Protocol "None" 
        Author:     A. Farrel,
                    J. Drake
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27141
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-farrel-sfc-convent-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8393

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8393

This document describes a network that supports Service Function
Chaining (SFC) using the Network Service Header (NSH) with no payload
data and carrying only metadata.  This is achieved by defining a new
NSH "Next Protocol" type value of "None".

This document illustrates some of the functions that may be achieved
or enhanced by this mechanism, but it does not provide an exhaustive
list of use cases, nor is it intended to be definitive about the
functions it describes.  It is expected that other documents will
describe specific use cases in more detail and will define the
protocol mechanics for each use case.

This document is a product of the Service Function Chaining Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org