Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8353 on Generic Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8353

        Title:      Generic Security Service API Version 2: 
                    Java Bindings Update 
        Author:     M. Upadhyay,
                    S. Malkani,
                    W. Wang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      96
        Characters: 204802
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5653

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-kitten-rfc5653bis-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8353

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8353

The Generic Security Services Application Programming Interface
(GSS-API) offers application programmers uniform access to security
services atop a variety of underlying cryptographic mechanisms.  This
document updates the Java bindings for the GSS-API that are specified
in "Generic Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update"
(RFC 5653).  This document obsoletes RFC 5653 by adding a new output
token field to the GSSException class so that when the initSecContext
or acceptSecContext methods of the GSSContext class fail, it has a
chance to emit an error token that can be sent to the peer for
debugging or informational purpose.  The stream-based GSSContext
methods are also removed in this version.

The GSS-API is described at a language-independent conceptual level
in "Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2,                  
Update 1" (RFC 2743).  The GSS-API allows a caller application to
authenticate a principal identity, to delegate rights to a peer, and
to apply security services such as confidentiality and integrity on a
per-message basis.  Examples of security mechanisms defined for
GSS-API are "The Simple Public-Key GSS-API Mechanism (SPKM)"
(RFC 2025) and "The Kerberos Version 5 Generic Security Service                       
Application Program Interface (GSS-API) Mechanism: Version 2"
(RFC 4121).

This document is a product of the Common Authentication Technology Next Generation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org