Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8627 on RTP Payload Format for Flexible Forward Error Correction (FEC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:32:50 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8627

        Title:      RTP Payload Format for Flexible 
                    Forward Error Correction (FEC) 
        Author:     M. Zanaty, 
                    V. Singh,
                    A. Begen, 
                    G. Mandyam
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 92366
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-payload-flexible-fec-scheme-20.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8627

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8627

This document defines new RTP payload formats for the Forward Error
Correction (FEC) packets that are generated by the non-interleaved
and interleaved parity codes from source media encapsulated in RTP.
These parity codes are systematic codes (Flexible FEC, or "FLEX                        
FEC"), where a number of FEC repair packets are generated from a set
of source packets from one or more source RTP streams.  These FEC
repair packets are sent in a redundancy RTP stream separate from the
source RTP stream(s) that carries the source packets.  RTP source
packets that were lost in transmission can be reconstructed using the
source and repair packets that were received.  The non-interleaved
and interleaved parity codes that are defined in this specification
offer a good protection against random and bursty packet losses,
respectively, at a cost of complexity.  The RTP payload formats that
are defined in this document address scalability issues experienced
with the earlier specifications and offer several improvements.  Due
to these changes, the new payload formats are not backward compatible
with earlier specifications; however, endpoints that do not implement
this specification can still work by simply ignoring the FEC repair
packets.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org