Subject: [rmcat] RFC 8836 on Congestion Control Requirements for Interactive Real-Time Media

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:30:48 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8836

        Title:      Congestion Control Requirements for Interactive 
                    Real-Time Media 
        Author:     R. Jesup,
                    Z. Sarker, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmcat-cc-requirements-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8836

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8836

Congestion control is needed for all data transported across the
Internet, in order to promote fair usage and prevent congestion
collapse. The requirements for interactive, point-to-point real-time
multimedia, which needs low-delay, semi-reliable data delivery, are
different from the requirements for bulk transfer like FTP or bursty
transfers like web pages. Due to an increasing amount of RTP-based
real-time media traffic on the Internet (e.g., with the introduction
of the Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC)), it is especially
important to ensure that this kind of traffic is congestion
controlled.

This document describes a set of requirements that can be used to
evaluate other congestion control mechanisms in order to figure out
their fitness for this purpose, and in particular to provide a set of
possible requirements for a real-time media congestion avoidance
technique.

This document is a product of the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC