Subject: Building Blocks

From: BABONNEAU Gérard FTRD/DMI/REN<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:31:25 +0200

Hello,

I'm modeling multicast protocols, and I'm currently working on PGM. 
Many networks works better when senders have a constant or limited
throughput. Do you intend to include a function to control the throughput in
the congestion control block, or to create a new BB to control the sender
rate? In this second case, it could receive information from congestion
control to adapt the rate, if necessary.

Best regards,

       Salutations,

               Gérard BABONNEAU

---

From: Lorenzo Vicisano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:09:43 -0700

Gerard,

> control to adapt the rate, if necessary.

If the issue is "using a fixed rate instead of doing congestion
control", it's only acceptable in privately controlled network,
not in the Internet (RFC2357).

If instead you are proposing to add an upper bound to the sender rate
and still perform congestion control without crossing the upper limit,
I believe that you can just go ahead and implement this (it doesn't
require specification). It is true that you might end up using less
than your fair share and hence you should be allowed to customize you
CC algorithm (e.g. making it more aggressive), however I believe that
is a complex issue to be dealt with carefully.

	Lorenzo