Subject: Java FEC Library 1.0 Released

From: Justin Chapweske <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:37:49 -0500

The 1.0 (bourbon-12) release of the Swarmcast FEC Library is available at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/swarmcast/  This software is based on
Luigi Rizzo's wonderful C FEC library but has been significantly expanded
to include multi-threaded IO routines for encoding and decoding
files.  Just as with Luigi's library, this is released under a BSD-style
license.

I would highly recommend that anyone implementing a reliable multicast
solution in Java look at these libraries.  We have been actively
developing them for over a year and believe you will find them to be quite
useful.

The features for this release include:

o Very efficient multi-threaded FEC I/O routines for easily encoding and
decoding files.

o Pure Java, native linux, and native win32 implementations of the
Vandermonde FEC codes.

o Platform specific libraries are automatically detected and deployed and
pure java codes are used for fallback in case platform specific libraries
cannot be found.

o An FEC codec plugin interface.

o Cryptographic hashes can be used to verify the integrity of the file
being decoded.  If a block is found to be corrupt then the software can
attempt to repair it.

Thanks Luigi for the C code, Lorenzo for the JNI beginnings, and Jim
Gemmel for his papers on FEC IO.

-- 
Justin Chapweske, Lead Swarmcast Developer, OpenCola Inc.
http://www.swarmcast.com/