Subject: [Rmt] RFC 3695 on Compact Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:43:04 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3695

        Title:      Compact Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes
        Author(s):  M. Luby, L. Vicisano
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 32012
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-supp-compact-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3695.txt

This document introduces some Forward Error Correction (FEC) schemes
that supplement the FEC schemes described in RFC 3452.  The primary
benefits of these additional FEC schemes are that they are designed
for reliable bulk delivery of large objects using a more compact FEC
Payload ID, and they can be used to sequentially deliver blocks of an
object of indeterminate length.  Thus, they more flexibly support
different delivery models with less packet header overhead.

This document also describes the Fully-Specified FEC scheme
corresponding to FEC Encoding ID 0.  This Fully-Specified FEC scheme
requires no FEC coding and is introduced primarily to allow simple
interoperability testing between different implementations of protocol
instantiations that use the FEC building block.

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.