Subject: [Rmt] reliable multicast transport via satellite

From: Marco Tana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:16:21 +0100

Dear all,
could you kindly report about IETF/RMT-WG point of view about reliable 
multicast transport via satellite?
I am working on this topic, I found many protocols in literature but no 
IETF RFC/drafts at all! I noticed that MFTP proposal has expired...
Which is the right direction to investigate? Particularly wrt reliable 
bulk data transfer with wired feedback channels?
Sincerely grateful
-Marco
-- 
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
Jon Postel - Internet Pioneer
___________________________________________________________________

Marco Tana
Center for Advanced Computational Technologies
Distretto Tecnologico/ISUFI - University of Lecce
s.p. Lecce Arnesano - 73100 Lecce - ITALY
Voice 0039.0832.298122
Fax   0039.0832.297279
e-mail [email-masked]
___________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt

---

From: Brian Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:01:21 -0500

Marco,

The NORM (RFC3940/3941) approach has been successfully used in this 
scenario in a number of different systems.  The NORM provision to 
allow the receiver  group to "unicast" feedback to the sender and the 
sender facilitation of feedback suppression by multicasting control 
messages on the forward channel can work in a fairly scalable 
fashion.  I have worked with a deployed system where 10,000+ receiver 
ground stations have received reliable multicast transmissions from a 
satellite service while providing unicast feedback via terrestrial 
wired network connectivity.  The feedback requirements of NORM (given 
NACK-oriented operation) is quite small and well-suited for 
asymmetric connectivity with limited feedback capacity.

We have a working, open source, implementation of NORM, including 
support for building an "ns-2" simulation model at: 
<http://norm.pf.itd.nrl.navy.mil>.  I have also recently posted a 
"Developer's Guide" which described the NORM API available for 
application development using our NORM protocol implementation.

best regards,

Brian Adamson

At 12:16 PM +0100 3/14/05, Marco Tana wrote:
>Dear all,
>could you kindly report about IETF/RMT-WG point of view about 
>reliable multicast transport via satellite?
>I am working on this topic, I found many protocols in literature but 
>no IETF RFC/drafts at all! I noticed that MFTP proposal has 
>expired...
>Which is the right direction to investigate? Particularly wrt 
>reliable bulk data transfer with wired feedback channels?
>Sincerely grateful
>-Marco
>--

---

From: "Michael Luby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:10:33 -0800

Marco,
In addition to the NORM approach that Brian outlines below, the FLUTE/ALC
(RFCs 3926, 3450, 3451, 3452, etc.) approach is the other one you should
consider.  The FLUTE/ALC approach relies fundamentally on powerful FEC codes
for the reliability, and is particularly well-suited for the situation you
describe for delivering bulk data reliably, and can do this without relying
fundamentally on feedback for reliability.  Note that the FLUTE/ALC approach
is now being proliferated into commercial standards: it has already been
adopted within 3GPP for the MBMS (Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service)
file delivery service, and is being considered by a number of other
standards such as DVB-H.  Note also that the FLUTE/ALC protocol is currently
being used in the commercial world for applications of the type you outline
in your email (please contact me privately for more information on this).
Regards, Michael Luby

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian
Adamson
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 7:01 AM
To: Marco Tana; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Rmt] reliable multicast transport via satellite

Marco,

best regards,

Brian Adamson

---

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:27:02 +0100

Dear Marco and RMT'ers,

Michael Luby wrote:
> Note that the FLUTE/ALC approach
> standards such as DVB-H.

I take advantage of this mail to inform those of you who may be
interested by this topic that Rod, Toni and Harsh did an excellent
tutorial on the subject, entitled "Advances in mass media delivery
to mobiles", during the MIPS 2004 workshop we organized last year.
Furthermore they kindly authorized us to put the slides in the web
site (once again, thanks a lot for that).

http://mips2004.inrialpes.fr/tutorials.php
http://mips2004.inrialpes.fr/files/MIPS2004-MMM_tutorial.pdf

> Note also that the FLUTE/ALC protocol is currently

And keep in mind there are three open source FLUTE implementations
in addition to DF and Nokia's one.

Regards,

   Vincent

---------------------- http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/roca/
   INRIA Rhone-Alpes - projet planete      [email-masked]
   Zirst; 655 av. de l'Europe; Montbonnot  phone (+33) 4.76.61.52.16
   38334 ST ISMIER cedex - France          fax   (+33) 4.76.61.52.52

---

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:52:21 -0500

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:16:21 +0100
> bulk data transfer with wired feedback channels?

Focusing on transport more than reliable, if you are planning to do true IP
multicast over a very assymetrical path, you should be aware of UDLR and RFC3077.
There are a number of issues that satellite transmission links impose that this
solves.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3077.txt
http://www.udcast.com/udlr/

Regards
Marshall Eubanks