Subject: [Rmt] [EXP2STD] Duplication between LCT and ALC

From: "Mark Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:03:51 -0400

All,

In updating the ALC and LCT specifications for standards track, I have
noticed that there is a lot of duplication between the two.

Specifically,

1)     Both documents include text on service models. The 'push service
model' is mentioned in both documents but described in more detail in
ALC. The 'on demand content delivery model' is mentioned in both
documents but described in more detail in LCT.

2)     Much of the text in "Environmental Requirements and
Considerations" in ALC is duplicated text from the equivalent section in
LCT.

3)     Section 4.2 of ALC (LCT Header format) claims to provide an
example of the LCT header format and then duplicates most of the text
from 5.1 of LCT, including normative requirements from that section.
There are also a couple of ALC-specific normative requirements in this
section, which is unfortunate, since the whole section is marked as an
example!

4)     Section 4.3 of ALC (Header Extensions) and 5.2 of LCT duplicate
the definition of LCT Header Extensions and the General extensions in
particular.

5)     Section 4.4 of ALC (Sender operation) includes a number of
duplicated requirements from LCT regarding TOI uniqueness per object,
packet ordering and packet size.

6)     Section 4.5 of ALC (Receiver operation) includes a number of
duplicated requirements from LCT regarding congestion control, packet
ordering and concurrent sessions.

7)     The last two paragraphs of Section 5 of ALC (Security
Considerations) are a direct copy of the last two paragraphs of Section
8 of LCT

My proposals for addressing these duplications are as follows:

1)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced with a
reference to LCT. Text from ALC which does not presently appear in LCT
should also be moved there, unless it is genuinely ALC-specific.

2)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced with a
reference to LCT.

3)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC (reference to LCT is
already there). The only ALC-specific normative requirements still
required in ALC are:

a.      That the TSI must be in the header and non-zero in length

b.      That the LCT header is followed by the FEC Payload ID and
Encoding Symbols (I propose also to remove the FEC-scheme specific
description of the FEC Payload ID and simply refer to the FEC BB)

4)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC and replaced with a
reference to LCT. Only the definition of the EXT-FTI should remain in
ALC.

5)     Duplicated text should be removed from ALC (reference to LCT is
already there)

6)     As (5)

7)     As (5)

Regards,

Mark

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt