Subject: [rohc] [Fwd: [AVT] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt]

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 09:37:07 +0200

Hi,

I would like to inform you in the ROHC WG about the requirements work 
being done in the AVT WG regarding header compression for multi-hop 
paths. Example of such multi-hop path is to do HC between MPLS network 
ingress to egress.

Please note that this work is in its requirements phase and no technical 
solution is yet selected.

Please direct any discussion on this topic to the AVT WG's mailing list 
([email-masked]).

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund
AVT co-chair

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [AVT] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:11:50 -0500
From: Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), ALABS <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
CC: Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), ALABS <[email-masked]>,        GOODE, B (Bur), 
ALABS <[email-masked]>,        Hand, James C, ALABS <[email-masked]>, 
        Jim Hand <[email-masked]>, raymond zhang 
<[email-masked]>,        George Swallow <[email-masked]>

All,

Please review the updated 01 version of the 'Requirements for VoIP 
Header Compression over Multiple-Hop Paths' 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt. 

The update is in response to the AVT proposed charter items, where these 
milestones have been tentatively added to the charter:

Nov 2003 Initial draft requirements for ECRTP over MPLS; discuss with 
MPLS WG
Mar 2004 Finish requirements for ECRTP over MPLS; re-charter for 
subsequent work

These are the main changes/updates from the 00 version:

1. Changed the terminology of 'end-to-end VoIP header compression' to 
'VoIP header compression from compressor to decompressor over 
multiple-hop paths'.  The 'end-to-end' terminology caused some confusion 
at IETF-57.
2. Expanded the introduction to be more descriptive of the problem and 
background.
3. Added Section 2 on 'scenarios'.
4. Added 'goals' to Section 3, and made the requirements more specific 
(e.g., added tentative performance requirements for delay, jitter and 
packet loss).
5. Put a brief summary of 'proposed solutions' in Appendix A (for 
convenience of the reader).

Please let us know your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jerry Ash

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 3:38 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Requirements for VoIP Header Compression over
                           Multiple-Hop Paths
	Author(s)	: J. Ash et al.
	Filename	: draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-9-30
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP/.  When MPLS
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels.  For an
MPLS VPN, the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice
payload is often no more than 30 bytes.  VoIP header compression can
significantly reduce the VoIP overhead through various compression
mechanisms.  This is important on access links where bandwidth is
scarce, and can be important on backbone facilities, especially where
costs are high (e.g., some global cross-sections).  Providing VoIP
header compression over multiple hop paths avoids multiple
compression/decompression cycles at each router, and thereby increases
the processing scalability of the maximum number of simultaneous VoIP
flows which use header compression at each router.  This draft gives a
problem statement, example scenarios, goals, and requirements for VoIP
header compression from compressor to decompressor over multiple-hop
paths, possibly over MPLS.  It also discusses work items and issues for
consideration, and highlights various solution alternatives that have
been proposed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc