Subject: [rohc] SigComp Compartments Memory Managment

From: "John Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:12:24 +0000

Hi,

In RFC-3320
6.2.2.  If the state creation request needs more state memory than the
      total state_memory_size for the compartment, the state handler
      deletes all but the first (state_memory_size - 64) bytes from the
      state_value.  It sets the state_length to (state_memory_size -
      64), and recalculates the state_identifier as defined in Section
      9.4.9.

What does it mean? It seems to make no sense by itself?
How is it used? For what purpose?
Does it have to do with some specific mechanism of memory book-keeping in 
the compressor ?

Thank You,
John.

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:41:09 +0200

>Does it have to do with some specific mechanism of memory book-keeping in

Only thing I can imagine is to make sure that there are no state
items with higher priority in the compartment. 

So, if you have a sms=8192, you have state item S0 size=4000
priority=100 and you insert a state item S2 size=3000 p=10, then
state item S3 s=2000 p=10, the S3 pushes away S2. If you insert S1
size=64000 priority=0 before S2, S3 pushes away S1, not S2.

--Pekka