Subject: [rohc] Comments on UDP-lite compression

From: "West, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:17:01 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Hi all,

Here are my comments on the UDP-lite compression draft.  I think that
there's only one of any real significance; the others are minor typos /
grammar tweaks (which you can feel free to ignore if you wish!)

Cheers,

Mark.

Non-NiTS

- If CE(OFF) is sent, the decompressor is supposed to infer the setting of
the CFI flag.  However, what about the case where CC == packet length ==
context(CC) (e.g. CC is used to protect the RTP header and there is a
'null length' RTP payload?  I'm not sure that this is ambiguous (i.e.
the packet length has precedence over matching the context when setting
CFI)?  However, it would be good to ensure that the text for this really
is unambiguous...

NiTS

- I assume that the RFC numbers will be filled in for [UDP-lite] and
[IPonly] as part of the RFC Ed process?

- S1. 'guaranteed to an extremely high extent even when' -> 'guaranteed
to an extremely high extent, even when'

- S3.1. 'and allow applications' -> 'and allows applications'

- S3.1. '16-bit checksum and it is applied' -> '16-bit checksum, which
is applied'

- S3.1. 'share protocol identifier' -> 'share a protocol identifier'

- S3.2. 'inferred from the IP module' -> 'inferred from the IP header'

- S3.3. 'found in the Appendix A' -> 'found in Appendix A'

- S5.1. 'infomration relevant to previous' -> 'information about
previous'

- S5.1. 'describing the packet stream, or parameters' -> 'describing the
packet stream or compression parameters'

- S5.3.1. [figure] '(includes no SN)' -> '(does not include SN)'

- S5.3.2. Is the acronym 'CE' confusable (easily) with Congestion
Experienced in ECN?  Probably not, but I'd thought that I'd mention
it..!  (CCE == Checksum Coverage Extension has been proposed as an
alternative; this sounds good to me!)

- S5.3.2. 'while the field could previously' -> 'where the field could
previously'

- S5.3.2. 'of such deviations are seldom' -> 'of such deviations is
rare'

- S5.6. 'context of the packet stream, as the stream is currently
compressed' -> 'context of the packet stream required by the current
compressed structure'

-- 
Mark A. West, Senior Consultant Engineer
Roke Manor Research Ltd., Romsey, Hants.  SO51 0ZN
Phone +44 (0)1794 833311   Fax  +44 (0)1794 833433

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc