Subject: [rohc] Possible using ROHC on a multinode subnet?

From: "Maarten Gerbrands \(NC3A\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:53:49 +0200

Dear ROHC experts,

I am currently researching ways to improve TCP/IP networking using NATO
STANAG 5066 HF packet radio as a data link layer.
HF packet radio is a wireless network which can operate over very long
distances.
The link speeds are slow (max 9600 bits per sec.), and delays are high
(RTT something like 4 to 5 seconds).

I believe ROHC is the most promising header compression scheme for
TCP/IP over HF, 
however I don't know if it can operate in a data link layer (subnet)
with multiple nodes.
I understand it less efficient as a link with just two end points.
Note that HF subnets are normally operating with just a few nodes in one
subnet.

So I would like to know if a single instance of a
compressor/decompressor can handle different layer-2 endpoints.

If it is designed to do so, are there made any plans to register an
Ether Type assignment for use ROHC over Ethernet
like the registered VJHC(RFC 1144)? 
The reason I am interested in the Ether Type is because we have plans to
include the Ether Type field in the link layer protocol (STANAG 5066).

Regards,

Maarten Gerbrands
Architecture, Security and Interoperability Branch,
Communications and Information Systems Division
NATO C3 Agency

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc