Subject: [rohc] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:41:41 -0500

Hi All,

Please review and comment on the updated draft "Protocol Extensions for
Header Compression over MPLS"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protoco
l-01.txt).

The updates are based primarily on comments from Stewart Bryant, see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05722.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05721.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05723.html

The main changes include the following:

1. Section 4.1: Noted the need for IANA to allocate two Pseudowire
Interface Parameter Sub-TLV type values, one for IPCP and the other for
IPV6TP.
2. Section 4.1: Clarified the encoding of the header compression
setup/parameter-negotiation TLVs identified in RFC 3251 and RFC 3544.
3. Section 4.2: Noted the need for IANA to establish a Registry to
assign PW Control Octet values 10-15.
4. Section 7: Text clarified to conform with RFC 2434 requirements and
specified the need for the two new interface parameter sub-TLVs.  Also
specified the need for a Registry for PW Control Octet values 10-15.

Once again, please review and comment on the updated draft.  

Thanks,
Jerry 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression
over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2005-9-27
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
   labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
   MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
   payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
   compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
   compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
   packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
   each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
   efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
   simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
   pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
   messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
   (LSR), and the pseudowires define one or more point-to-point
   instances corresponding to each HC session at the header
   decompressor.  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are
   re-used to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol
-01.txt

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc